• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

grades

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hi im a frosh in high school and currently am aC student i was wondering what grades do you need to become a pilot

There's not a cut and dried answer to that, but you should strive for the best you can get. A C average isn't going to be good enough. High school is not difficult, so the grades you get are less a reflection of how smart you are, and more about how hard you try - the Navy knows this. If you want to reach your dream, you're going to have to dedicate yourself to your schoolwork for the next 7-8 years and get As and Bs.

Brett

MasterBates

Brett is spot on.

Also, from now on, please make a point to try to use proper punctuation.

It really does relflect on you, and in many endeavours, it will be the ONLY introduction people have of you. (Job applications, NROTC/ACADEMY/BDCP packages, etc)

Unless MA public schools have really gone to pot since I graduated in 1996, you have been taught how to do this. Not sure what town you are in, but in some of the less affluent districts, you will have to push yourself and your school. The resources are there.

The question is, do YOU want to be the #1 A student who goes on to fly Naval Aircraft off ships in all weather, or not.

I make the comments about writing, because it is true. I had "lacking" communication skills and it made it difficult when it came to apply to college and jobs beyond working at North Carver Cranberry or JP Noonan trucking..

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
I agree with all of the above. My best advice is that if your looking for ROTC or the Academy, try to also have a smattering of extra-curriculars. Sports always seemed like a no-brainer to me in high school, since the military requires at least some physical aptitude, and, if you have the grades, it shows you can manage your time well.
From what I was told when I was in your shoes, they're almost more interested in the applicant who is a B student but was also the captain of the swim team, played lacrosse, and wrote for the school paper, than the guy who got straight A's and did nothing else.

Edit: Also, if you can, try to get into higher level classes. Advanced Placement Physics/Chem/Calc as opposed to wood shop. A B-grade in AP Chem is probably shined better upon than an A in wood shop. I took alot of shop in high school, which is very useful for life skills, but it didn't help me get into the Academy.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
More important than high school is college. Get into a decent school, take a somewhat technical degree, and earn good grades, along with extra-curriculars. Don't talk to the recruiters that visit your high school if you want to be a pilot. During your freshman year of college, talk to an officer recruiter.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not to be a jackass, but this guy misspelled his own state. He needs to work on the fundamentals, the "blocking and tackling," so to speak.

One doesn't have to be a rocket surgeon to be a pilot, but one does have to have above average academic skills. Think at least a "B" average with good extracurriculars and test scores.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Oh lord, not another "futureaviator" *sigh...

These kids need to come up with better profile names. Might I recommend a few: Chunky Bear Nuts, Al-Suq Akweer or Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupr. Now THESE are good profile names :D

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Is this some kind of a troll? And on a similar note, why is it in the API forum?

*cough* mods *cough*

[remainder of comment deleted by poster because the Rev. Jim Beam was talking]

Lawman

None
Oh lord, not another "futureaviator" *sigh...

These kids need to come up with better profile names. Might I recommend a few: Chunky Bear Nuts, Al-Suq Akweer or Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupr. Now THESE are good profile names :D

I vote the name be retired.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Come on guys. The kid said he was a freshman in high school. He's probably 14 years old.

Giving him feedback on the public preception he makes is one thing, but make it constuctive. Ragging on a 14 year old for choosing a user name an adult finds less than imaginative is BS.

jcm31781

Pensacola or bust!
pilot
Futureaviator, guess you've gotten sort of a crash course in another aspect of Naval/military aviation: having thick skin. The nature of our business--and of the profession of arms in general--demands that we critique and push each other, lest our skills and thinking become dull and complacent. While you're in school that may mean a report card but up in the air it's your and your crew's lives. The quicker this sinks in and you learn to push yourself to be the best (before others have to push you), the more ahead of the power curve you'll be.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Futureaviator, guess you've gotten sort of a crash course in another aspect of Naval/military aviation: having thick skin. The nature of our business--and of the profession of arms in general--demands that we critique and push each other, lest our skills and thinking become dull and complacent. While you're in school that may mean a report card but up in the air it's your and your crew's lives. The quicker this sinks in and you learn to push yourself to be the best (before others have to push you), the more ahead of the power curve you'll be.

Well said. The idea for you, futureaviator, is at this point you want to do the best you can in school and work in steps. What I mean is, doing well in school (good grades and maybe highschool sports/extra curricular activies) will be the first step into getting into a good college for the NROTC program, or the Academy, or simply getting into a college so that down the road you can go OCS. During college, you work hard to get the good grades and test scores so that you can move on to the next step, being accepted into the flight program and earning your commission. The next step is doing well in flight school, etc. Work on what you can control and continue from there.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ome on guys. The kid said he was a freshman in high school. He's probably 14 years old.

Giving him feedback on the public preception he makes is one thing, but make it constuctive. Ragging on a 14 year old for choosing a user name an adult finds less than imaginative is BS.

Thats right! If we are going to pick on any 14 year old, it's going to be kmac :)