• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grandpa's contribution to Carrier Aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

A little brief info on where i'm at. I'm a college freshman at the University of Oregon as a Business major. Anyways, I played Lacrosse and Golf in highschool, and am in a fraternity now on campus. I graduated with a low 3.3 in HS, and now currently have a 2.8(Rough First Term of School), but expect to keep it around 3.4ish realistically.

Honestly, I just want to fly. I don't care how I get there or what I have to do because I will work for it. I am about a month away from obtaining my pilots license, and have fell in love with the art of flying. I am indifferent at this point about the Navy or Airforce as they will both give me the opportunity to serve for my country, however, my grandfather was a hell diver (sb2c) dive bomber in the Navy, and retired as a Commander, so naturally i'm leaning towards the airforce.

On the navy ROTC website, it shows that my math sat score might be too low to recieve the scholarship. I recieved a 1480 total, with a 580 on my writing and a 430 on my math :(.

I have been considering OCS for either branches, however I think that would be much harder to get into than the ROTC program. I have concerns about my vision. My near vision is 20/20, but distance is 20/35 because of an astigmatism in my right eye.

I talked to a recruiter, but he definatly was lobbying towards an enlisted career, and didn't have too much knowledge of the officer programs so it didn't help me a ton. Whats your guys's take on my situation?

I'm fairly athletic, and have been working out, but currently my max is 45 pushups so still a work in progress. I just feel very lost in the situation and need some direction. Thanks for your time,

Gah! Its late here! I'm VERY proud of my heritage, I definately meant I am leaning towards Navy. He came up with several pratices that back in the 1940s were in heavy use, one being a net to catch aircraft on the landing side of the carrier, and the second was to train pilots by making them signal officers on deck with the paddles to get a feel for the approach angle etc.

Would you say that the ROTC is an academically easier choice route than going through OCS? Paying for college isn't the biggest priority. I have been blessed and was left with a trust fund to pay for most of my college, so in reality, I don't totally need the scholarship(which would definatly help), but primarily I want to put myself into that pilot seat and feel the gratitude of serving my nation, and making my career a helping hand towards the defense and safety of our nation

Thank you very much for your detailed and rapid response. As quoted by Leonardo De Vinci,

“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward--for there you have been, and there you will always be.”

After my first flight in a Piper Arrow 2 when I was about 10, i've never looked back

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Gah! Its late here! I'm VERY proud of my heritage, I definately meant I am leaning towards Navy. He came up with several pratices that back in the 1940s were in heavy use, one being a net to catch aircraft on the landing side of the carrier, and the second was to train pilots by making them signal officers on deck with the paddles to get a feel for the approach angle etc.
And Al Gore invented the internet.......

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor

Touching, but Paddles has been around since the twenties.. (No slight to your Grandfather, but guys who come up with fleet changing techniques usually retire as Admiral's)... Welcome to the site and you have plenty of time. Look at ALL services (Including Coast Guard) and search a couple more avenues like BDCP... I graduated with a 2.95 (I say a gimmie at 3.0) and did College Program for my commissioning source.

Well Al Gore is a retard, but back to the actual point, I said he "invented" the paddles. I'm saying he started the practice in World War 2 of making pilots practice signaling planes in WITH the paddles as apart of their flight traning...

I'm just not sure what factors to consider exactly when choosing one over the other. Their programs are different between branches but the end result will mostly be the same so still deciding that as well

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Well Al Gore is a retard...

So ... Nobel laureate, Emmy Award Winner, Academy Award Winner and author equals retard?

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with his policies, but saying he lacks the mental ability to drive a car is something else.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I'm saying he started the practice in World War 2 of making pilots practice signaling planes in WITH the paddles as apart of their flight traning...
It's a good thing that the practice of letting training command studs be paddles off the bat was nipped in the bud a long time ago.....nothing like a blood curdling power call from someone who knows nothing about ball flying to bring the reality of how fvcked up your approach was to bear.....I never even heard of them doing that.

You are a post whore.. :dunce_125:
You are a DIRTY whore!:D

Yes, I was a bit harsh on Mr. Gore i'll agree. I don't like his politics one bit but seeing as how I ask that we give full respect to our current president whether you like him or not, I should be fair to the ones I dont like as well.

And as they say flytpay, you learn something new everyday ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I said he "invented" the paddles. I'm saying he started the practice in World War 2 of making pilots practice signaling planes in WITH the paddles as apart of their flight traning...

What several experienced aviators are trying to tell you is that despite what your family lore might contain:

1. The first aircraft carrier was the USS Langley and the senior aviator aboard was CDR Ken Whiting. Langley took her first aircraft aboard on Oct 26, 1922. Shortly thereafter, CDR Whiting* begain "waving" at pilots to get their attention when they were too high or low or not in proper condition to land. He is credited with introducing Flags/Paddles (some accounts say he even tried sailor's Dixie Cup hats).

2. The LSO's role and signals were well established before World War II by USS Langley, USS Saratoga, USS Lexington and USS Ranger air wings and their LSOs.

*This was all documented by one of the Langley pilots, Rear Admiral J. R. Tate, so unless your grandfather was Ken Whiting, you might want to do some research before making that claim.

What several experienced aviators are trying to tell you is that despite what your family lore might contain:

1. The first aircraft carrier was the USS Langley and the senior aviator aboard was CDR Ken Whiting. Langley took her first aircraft aboard on Oct 26, 1922. Shortly thereafter, CDR Whiting* begain "waving" at pilots to get their attention when they were too high or low or not in proper condition to land. He is credited with introducing Flags/Paddles (some accounts say he even tried sailor's Dixie Cup hats).

2. The LSO's role and signals were well established before World War II by USS Langley, USS Saratoga, USS Lexington and USS Ranger air wings and their LSOs.

*This was all documented by one of the Langley pilots, Rear Admiral J. R. Tate, so unless your grandfather was Ken Whiting, you might want to do some research before making that claim.

Your facts there don't prove anything... i'm not saying he invented the paddles, or the LSO idea, i'm saying as part of pilots training he had them act as LSO's, to see approach angles etc and help them get a feel for the landing sequence... show me facts against that claim please.

Can you enter the ANG while still in school? I'm not sure how long the training takes or if they follow a semi-similar route of civilian flight training, but I wonder if that would be something I could start in the summer, i'll have to look at their site!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Your facts there don't prove anything... i'm not saying he invented the paddles, or the LSO idea, i'm saying as part of pilots training he had them act as LSO's, to see approach angles etc and help them get a feel for the landing sequence... show me facts against that claim please.
The Barrier (net to catch landing aircraft) was in use long before the 1940s and no student pilot is ever going to act as a LSO. They might have observed the LSO, but they were not the LSO.

If your grandfather did invent the barrier, then he would be famous and you would have no problem providing his name here for us to check the facts. The guy you are calling out and asking to provide "facts" is a very respected member of the Naval Aviation community with a reputation you could only hope to one day aspire to have. There are many more like him on this site. Your claims are the ones lacking facts and are in my opinion BS.

Either your grandfather is full of shit or you are not remembering his stories right. You decide which it is.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... i'm not saying he invented the paddles, or the LSO idea, i'm saying as part of pilots training he had them act as LSO's, to see approach angles etc and help them get a feel for the landing sequence...

ACTUALLY ... that's good LSO "technique" and good headwork all around for everyone w/ Aviators who are "ball challenged" and not dropping right into the groove like they should be ...

I used to do that w/ guys who were struggling or in a slump w/ their bounce/boat performance (it happens - just like ball players) -- and I'd take 'em out to the end of the runway when they weren't flying -- it was seldom a waste of anyone's time.

They didn't "act as LSO's" ... but they observed many, many passes and we discussed trends/corrections/techniques ... in most cases it was a PLUS. :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

If you had your info together, you might not look so idiotic. Take what is given here with great care. Folks are trying to help but become sensitive, you'll not last long.

I was told this information from my grandmother. His name was CMDR Lawrence Madden. I cannot prove this is true, but I was told this by her and have no reason to believe otherwise.

Regardless, HAL Pilot, don't you ever fucking think that you can talk like that about my or anyone elses family again. Just because you are on a forum board all safe by your computer does not mean you can be disrespectful to anyone. I take that personally as I have honor and pride for my grandfather, and anyone else, and respect anyone who has selflesly given their way of life up for the better of the greater good, our country, so watch your mouth.

I'll look into the National Guard option as well. I just want to fly so bad, I guess i'm not being picky enough about where and how I do it. I'll definatly head up to Corvallis and talk with both the programs there, and will call a ANG recruiter as well. I'm sure there are pro's and cons to each, so i'll see which one fits me the best. I definatly want to try to remain on this side of the country, so I guess besides the Navy, there are several options with the Airforce and ANG.

Anyone in here gone through the ANG program? I'm overall curious in how the flight training program for the Navy and civilian flight training differ.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
IRegardless, HAL Pilot, don't you ever fucking think that you can talk like that about my or anyone elses family again. Just because you are on a forum board all safe by your computer does not mean you can be disrespectful to anyone. I take that personally as I have honor and pride for my grandfather, and anyone else, and respect anyone who has selflesly given their way of life up for the better of the greater good, our country, so watch your mouth.
Bye bye douche bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.