• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ground broken for massive hangar at Jax

Circle K

pilot
Greg, the IP I flew with yesterday said -42 was supposed to be the first one to go, it was to become -70. Apparently its date has been moved back quite a bit over the past few months. As evidenced by the fact that they just got two new FRPs from the latest class.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Heres an artists rendition of the new hangar and its stats:

Contract Value: $123,522,000.00 (Phase 1 - $65,922,000.00, Phase 2 - $57,600,000.00)

Award Info: September 29, 2006, 4 months ahead of schedule

Contractor: Awarded to M. A. Mortenson, a $2 billion +/yr contractor based in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Purpose: To provide war fighter support to five P-3 “Orion” squadrons and one C-130 “Hercules” squadron, arriving from NAS Brunswick, ME

Contract Completion: Early 2009

Project Information:
o Approx 277,000 sq ft. (approx the size of 3 football fields.)
o Approx 23 acres of concrete parking apron
o To be constructed using techniques to minimize impact on the environment.
o Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection (ATFP) requirements have been incorporated into project design
o Consolidation of 6 squadrons into one space resulting in smaller footprint and reduced energy costs
o Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning System designed for ultimate efficiency while meeting the requirements of the end user and resulting in energy cost savings
o Incorporating cutting edge AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) fire suppression system
o Largest in Naval Facilities Engineering Command Southeast (NAVFAC SE).
o One of the largest hangars in the Navy
o Will support 1,639 personnel, 33 P-3s, and 4 C-130’s
o Designed to be adaptable to the future Navy Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft (a military version of the 737 slated to replace the P-3)
o Completion of the hangar is scheduled for early 2009, in time for the first squadron from NAS Brunswick to relocate here
Supported Squadrons:
o VP-8
o VP-10
o VP-26
o VP-92 (reserve)
o VPU-1
o VR-62 (C-130)

Attachments

• tmpphpI0FswG.jpg
    tmpphpI0FswG.jpg
    941.9 KB · Views: 66

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, massive construction next to VP30. I've never seen trees disappear that fast.

So is this new construction to the West of VP-30's current facility? We used to take our Ordie 6-pack four wheelin' in those woods back in the day. Oh the good times. :D

Brett

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I can't wait for the P-3 version of Speed and Angels about the final class of P-3 RAG students.