• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guam?

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you mean by "fine arts" kicking Gilagu (haole, for those familiar with Hawaii) Butt then yes. Watch what you say bro, because you might run into a big Chamorro (Guamanian) like me one day who might not be so friendly.
Now back to the topic. I was born and raised on Guam so I guess I know a little about it. It's a great little island that is rich on natural beauty and culture. If you enjoy outdoor activities then you'll love Guam. The diving is excellent, clear water that is 80 degrees down to 100 feet. There is great hiking on the southern half of the island, and many beautiful beaches. Yes, there is civilization. Tumon is like a scaled down version of Honolulu. Feel free to PM me if anyone has any questions.

Hafa Adai,

Q

Thanks for the gouge, if I end up going out that way I'll be sure to send some questions your way.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Got my SCUBA cert while I was there. No kidding, some of the most beautiful water I've ever seen and close to some of the world's best diving (Palau, Tinian, Truk).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Spent 3 weeks in Guam last year. It's kind of the gateway to the hot door. Nightlife equals strip clubs and then some!! Had a hard time exlpaining my $600 bill at G-Spot :D

Sabre170

None
I remember something about Brown Tree Snakes and Guam... What is that about? Are they as bad as rumors have them (eating all the wild birds etc...)? What about humidity; is there a lot of it, or does the wind blow it away like on Hawaii? What aircraft are stationed there or do they all det there? Is it a hardship tour or can you go accompained? And I second the question, can spouses find work, or do all the jobs go to Guamanians?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember something about Brown Tree Snakes and Guam... What is that about? Are they as bad as rumors have them (eating all the wild birds etc...)? What about humidity; is there a lot of it, or does the wind blow it away like on Hawaii? What aircraft are stationed there or do they all det there? Is it a hardship tour or can you go accompained? And I second the question, can spouses find work, or do all the jobs go to Guamanians?
It's humid as fvck in the sumer.

Brett

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
HSC-25 is there flying the MH-60S. The facilities on base (Anderson Air Force) are apparently very nice...It was my first choice and the slots are as random as HC-4's...but I have heard the flying is to die for and you get a lot of SAR calls since you act solely as the SAR asset.

Pags, as for the wife...if she's the outdoorsy type, you're GTG. Otherwise, I've heard that indeed it is like a carrier...and who wants to take their wife to a carrier!? I've heard mixed reviews about the islander's attitudes towards the Navy...

Watch for the King Crabs too...mean and strong.

~D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's humid as fvck in the sumer.

Brett
True .... but you get "used" to it. Do the three "S's" (sh!t/shower/shave for the unwashed--no pun) and you're good to go, as the SEALs like to say. Then by 0900 you break your first sweat and you're wet the rest of the day. Great way for the wives--- and you --- to stay fit --- one year later you have lost 50% of your original arrival body fat/baby fat. :)

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Anyone done a tour on Guam? /QUOTE]

Two year tour on Guam. Like all else I know, some time ago. Great duty. Managed to turn 12 month tour into 24 months. Got involed in ExPat community, was a blast. As A4 said, way way laid back. Of course like all else in life, it is what you make of it.

Tree snakes? When I was there no snakes on island. Huge snails that Japanese imported for food during war, went wild with no predators. No king crabs but coconut crabs are huge and mean! Hunted wild boar, actually domestic hogs that returned to wild. Mean suckers as well.

Humitidy. Yes, actually have seen it rain without cloud in sky. Nightfall as temp falls, you can get light showers. Trade winds are great, most of time. Doldrums at times, forgot what season.

Most popular honeymoon destination for Japanese. Finding a job should not be a problem at all. I worked as second job. Was qualified to operate the RCA Brinkert 35MM projector system that was used by the Marine Hwy Drive-in theater. Salary was fantastic. Was only one on island with any experience with that system (sound system, motor generators and projectors). Nice to be able to name your own salary. No Federal Tax on those earnings, so double benefit as my marginal rate stayed low in both Guam Tax system as well as Federal.

Tensions between local population and Military, as well as the ExPat community and of course the Japanese. MCB 2, as I recall were relocated out of Guam because of problems between a local group and some rather wild CB's.

Hope this helps.:icon_tong