• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harrier Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
The glass cockpit harriers are sweet. The hud in those things is gimongous. I'm starting to wish the hud in the rhino was a little bigger sometimes.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heh heh, HUD envy....

(I'm not making fun....I don't even GET a HUD...)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Singer6 said:
The glass cockpit harriers are sweet. The hud in those things is gimongous. I'm starting to wish the hud in the rhino was a little bigger sometimes.

all of them but the T-birds are glass cockpits with two MPCD's and a hugeass hud. T-bird only has one DDI and a smaller hud.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
squeeze said:
The Harriers are all upgraded, have the best avionics of any fleet aircraft.
Thanks for keepin' it real Squeeze. While it's an old airframe, it the the newest thing we've got. Two words: LITENING POD. Although now they are starting to strap them on to Hornets too.

Regarding the lawn dart comment: Take a look at the mishaps over the past two years. Guess who has the worse track record, 18s or Harriers?

A good friend of mine flies with the Nightmares in Yuma. I just hope it wasn't him that walked home that day. If and when they release the name of the pilot to the media, a link would be appreciated.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
The plane actually landed between houses out in Yuma, with relatively minimal damage done to any of the houses. The backyards of the houses were obviously torched a bit. The media is a circus of hearsay. The harrier isn't really an old airframe, I mean most of the harriers are newer than the hornets. Marines really didn't even start flying the AV8As here until like 1983, whereas the hornets were here a few years earlier and now with the AV8Bs and the Litening Pod, definitely formidable and a modern airplane.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
brd2881 said:
The plane actually landed between houses out in Yuma, with relatively minimal damage done to any of the houses. The backyards of the houses were obviously torched a bit. The media is a circus of hearsay. The harrier isn't really an old airframe, I mean most of the harriers are newer than the hornets. Marines really didn't even start flying the AV8As here until like 1983, whereas the hornets were here a few years earlier and now with the AV8Bs and the Litening Pod, definitely formidable and a modern airplane.
true, the Harriers are the newest aircraft in the Marine Corps inventory, but explain to me how it is a formidable weapon?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
true, the Harriers are the newest aircraft in the Marine Corps inventory, but explain to me how it is a formidable weapon?
I have to admit being only mildly familiar with the specific capes of the Harrier, but it's definitely not what I'd choose to bring to an A/A fight and A/G seems a little lackluster as well, compared to an 18D. "Formidable" does sound a little over-enthusiastic. ;)

Standing by to have my horizons broadened,

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
nugget81 said:
Kevin Halloran, another resident of the neighborhood, said the plane sounded like a World War II "Buzz Bomb" as it came down.
...'cause I'm thinking this guy has a lot of firsthand knowledge regarding an incoming V-1 raid. "It's like I was in London all over again."

One man's informer is another's entertainer I suppose.

Oh yeah, I agree about the Litening pod. Very nice indeed.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
...'cause I'm thinking this guy has a lot of firsthand knowledge regarding an incoming V-1 raid. "It's like I was in London all over again."

One man's informer is another's entertainer I suppose.

Oh yeah, I agree about the Litening pod. Very nice indeed.

hhahha I love it!

Civilians/non-pilots are USELESS when it comes to an aviation mishap. They only quote them for dramatic effect. My favorite is when someone says the plane was "spinning". Really? It was? Do you even know what that looks like?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I have to admit being only mildly familiar with the specific capes of the Harrier, but it's definitely not what I'd choose to bring to an A/A fight and A/G seems a little lackluster as well, compared to an 18D. "Formidable" does sound a little over-enthusiastic. ;)

Brett

A little bit of apples and oranges going on there. The thinking behind the Harrier was all the Hornets and other pointy nose assets will be doing fleet defense in the big cold war showdown so the Marines need something all their own that can deploy on amphibs. Ill be the first one to say there are shortcomings with the Harrier and msot of teh strengths have more to do with the pilots than the aircraft but it is a capable aircraft for what it does.
9 times out of ten would I rather have a Hornet come bomb a target(brings more bombs) sure but that isnt always possible especially on a MEU. Having controlled both as a FAC and a FAC(A) I have ot say the Harriers are much more consistantly on as far as CAS. Their CEPs are tighter as a whole than the Hornet guys and their Comms and proceudres are much more correct as a whole, there are of course exceptions. This is not meant to be a dig on Hornet guys just a discussion. The bottom line is they are both just "tired" losers and the guy on the ground would rather have a Cobra overhead anyway.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Brett327 said:

Brett
compared to an 18D? come on man, why not to a 18C also? ohhhh, i know why, a little bias showing for the two seater, eh ... no worries, we single seat Hornets have WSO's too, we just have to load them on TAMPS and then carry them out to the jet :D. just kidding mate, just having some good clean fun with ya, to be honest since 18Ds are the ones getting litening pods, they are more capable than the C's, right now.

i'm not going to sit here and knock on Harriers, i'll save that for the O club with buddies. i always get a kick out of Hornet guys running their suck to Harrier guys at the club about how they can beat the crap out of them 1v1 ... it's really something to brag about, and those are the same guys who can't bomb worth a crap, screw up a 9-line, and get the crap beat out themselves in 1v1's against other Hornets (or worse, against some Fighting Falcon dude). i just wouldn't call a Harrier "formidable" unless you are comparing them to maybe a L-39, AMX, or Hawk. what's unfortunate is a lot of my good friends from T-45s got selected for Harriers because their grades were too good for Hornets (i had Harrier grades in case anybody is wondering)

S/F

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I am kind of interested about Fly Navy's comment about witnesses who were not in aviation being the worst ones. Back awhile ago I wanted to be an air crash investigator and try to get a job with NTSB. I was fortunate enough to have made some friends with some FAA people and was invited to sit in on some of their training. The person conducting the class stated that the worst witness was someone with aviation experience. His reasoning was that someone with no knowledge would tell what they saw versus what they think they saw. He said that aviation experience actually tainted a witness because they would try to tell them what they thought happened instead of what actually happened.
As far as the media is concerned, it would depend on the political spin of that station or network. I like the station we have here they spin things three ways.
Far left during the noon news broadcast, neutral at the 6:00 PM broadcast and far right at the 11:00 PM broadcast. When I first heard about this crash I thought that the bombs detonated and took out about 100 homes with dozens of casualties. Of course this was CNN.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
compared to an 18D? come on man, why not to a 18C also? ohhhh, i know why, a little bias showing for the two seater, eh ... no worries, we single seat Hornets have WSO's too, we just have to load them on TAMPS and then carry them out to the jet :D. just kidding mate, just having some good clean fun with ya, to be honest since 18Ds are the ones getting litening pods, they are more capable than the C's, right now.

i'm not going to sit here and knock on Harriers, i'll save that for the O club with buddies. i always get a kick out of Hornet guys running their suck to Harrier guys at the club about how they can beat the crap out of them 1v1 ... it's really something to brag about, and those are the same guys who can't bomb worth a crap, screw up a 9-line, and get the crap beat out themselves in 1v1's against other Hornets (or worse, against some Fighting Falcon dude). i just wouldn't call a Harrier "formidable" unless you are comparing them to maybe a L-39, AMX, or Hawk. what's unfortunate is a lot of my good friends from T-45s got selected for Harriers because their grades were too good for Hornets (i had Harrier grades in case anybody is wondering)

S/F
I hear ya, brother. Not to christen myself a pop-psychologist, but the guys that talk the most sh!t are usually the guys who suck the most. Speaking of 9-lines (and this may be beyond the scope and classification of this forum - just ignore if that's the case), you guys doing those digitally yet or the old fashioned way? Also, Prowlers are one of those jets that the guys with the best grades (often to their chagrin) select because of how nasty they can be behind the boat. They can thank Grumman for that.

Good times,

Brett

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
JIMC5499 said:
As far as the media is concerned, it would depend on the political spin of that station or network.... When I first heard about this crash I thought that the bombs detonated and took out about 100 homes with dozens of casualties. Of course this was CNN.
Question #1: How does one put a political spin on an aviation mishap?!

Question #2: Assuming you think CNN in a left-commie propaganda machine, how is an overestimation of damage a liberal bias? (What would be the right-wing spin on the same story?)

Maybe I have interpreted your comment wrong, and if I did I'm sorry.

CNN (as well as 90% of cable news) sensationalizes crap to no end. While blowing this story way out of proportion is bias, it is bias for ratings and "wow" factor, not some political agenda. PROOF: Michael Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.