• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawkeye down

robav8r

None
Contributor
East Coast Mishap

Just heard a "Twin engine A/C with a crew of 3" went down last night while operating from a carrier (Local AM news station). Anyone hear anything ???

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Already posted twice and merged as will this be.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bums me out. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the crew.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bums me out. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the crew.

Likewise. Not much you can say. More important to keep them in your thoughts and prayers like Bunky suggests. Names released today.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
News from VAW-120

The SAR for Greyhawk 620 has been called off.

The crew of 620 was:

LT Ryan Betton instructor pilot (VAW 115 before 120), LT Cameron Hall instructor NFO (VAW 117 before 120), LT Jerry Smith student pilot.

A memorial service is tentatively planned for 1300 next Thurs at the Norfolk base chapel. Stand by for details.

The Hawkeye/Greyhound Ball is going to be held as scheduled next weekend. The golf on Thurs is cancelled.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hawkeye Memorial

VAW-120 memorial service for the crew of 620 is scheduled for Thursday, 24 August at the NB Norfolk Chapel at 1300. Also, there will also be a Mass held at the Lady of Victory Chapel (the Catholic one) at 1100.

If you cannot attend. please keep the memory and families of LT Ryan Betton (instructor pilot), LT Cameron Hall (instructor NFO) and LT Jerry Smith (student pilot) in your thoughts and prayers.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
800 attended memorial

VAW-120 memorial service for the crew of 620 is scheduled for Thursday, 24 August at the NB Norfolk Chapel at 1300. Also, there will also be a Mass held at the Lady of Victory Chapel (the Catholic one) at 1100.

If you cannot attend. please keep the memory and families of LT Ryan Betton (instructor pilot), LT Cameron Hall (instructor NFO) and LT Jerry Smith (student pilot) in your thoughts and prayers.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=130940&ran=2932

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Outstanding Memorial Service today, VAW-120 sent their shipmates off with lots of class and dignity.

I would venture that there was well over 800 there. The Chapel was filled and overflowed into Bldg C9. People flew in from every corner of the globe. Australia, Japan, all the TRACOM's, etc.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thread reopened to share thoughts and memories of service (but not about mishap causal factors, etc).

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
I was fortunate enough to have flown in the back on T hops with both Jerry and Ryan on two different occasions. They were both outstanding pilots and great officers. Cameron was a great instructor; he taught our IFF class and I had him for a few NFO sims. The Hawkeye community certainly has lost three of its best.

The memorial service and following reception were well organized. The missing man fly by of Hawkeyes was very touching, everyone I was with choked up.