• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HCS-5 Disestablished

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not affiliated w/ either -4 or -5, but have been keeping my eye on them. It was my understanding that while -5 was going away, it was becoming something else (HSC). That may still happen, and the article was just the official "we're done for now" and they'll reconstitute in a new mission (see the decom'ing squadrons thread).

My data is about 6 months old, but the word I got about -4 is that it will be around until Iraq is done. Time will tell.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought they were "turning into" HSC-84 & 85. Bad gouge?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Nope! Who remembers HAL-4 and HAL-5?

Bonus if you know what HC-9 was!

hc-9.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I couldn't remember the numbers, but that's what I was getting at. Maybe the changed the plan after the rewrite of post-change plans.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?

Interesting you bring that up, I happened to call the # on HCS-5's website today and I got HSC-85. I wanted to buy some Redhawk merchandise and hell the guy had to tell me it was HSC-85 (Formerly HC-85) not HCS-5.

Then I check Navy.mil and found out they got chopped two weeks ago..So much for wanting to buy a patch before they got axed

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I couldn't remember the numbers, but that's what I was getting at. Maybe the changed the plan after the rewrite of post-change plans.

Probably so...

I have a lot of cohorts looking to go FTS with either of these squadrons.

hscs

pilot
HC-85 changed its name to HSC-85 and absorbed HCS-5 after disestablishment. It seems that they will probably lose the mission that they have been doing. HCS-4 is now HSC-84 with the same mission.

Kinda stupid standing down a NSW centric squadron in the middle of SOF heavy war....

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HC-85 changed its name to HSC-85 and absorbed HCS-5 after disestablishment. It seems that they will probably lose the mission that they have been doing. HCS-4 is now HSC-84 with the same mission.

Kinda stupid standing down a NSW centric squadron in the middle of SOF heavy war....

Yeah, unless you HSC types are going to take it over ....??...

hscs

pilot
Not going to happen any time soon -- HS squadrons are tied to the boat and HSC doesn't have the background, manning, nor the equipment at this time.

bobbybrock

None

Talked to some 160th buddies of mine and they had nothing but great things to say about both 4 and 5 and the work they did with them in country.
I talked with 5 while I was leaving the Army and it seemed as if they had some really experienced bubbas flying for them.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Not going to happen any time soon -- HS squadrons are tied to the boat and HSC doesn't have the background, manning, nor the equipment at this time.

So we're just not going to be doing those missions anymore?