• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heads Up P'Cola - TS Claudette (16AUG09)

JonDW7

Tropical Storm Claudette is projected to make landfall around 7 PM, basically on top of P'Cola. The sustained winds are currently 50mph and the National Weather Service is predicting 5 inches of rain tonight. We'll see how much it strengthens before it makes landfall.

JonDW7

It basically popped up out of nowhere last night. I woke up this morning, checked the weather, and saw a tropical storm warning for us.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It started as a line of T-Storms and tropical moisture that spread from the gulf southwest of tampa to northeast of jax in the atlantic, and moved a little bit westward to get into warm water where there's almost no upper level windshear and exploded overnight.

I'm a weather nerd, sorry.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I'm more worried about Ana whenever she decides to mosey on into the gulf...

Hopefully this thing won't build up too much more.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here we go....

at200904.gif

-ea6bflyr ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There has been a tropical disturbance hovering off the FL coast slowly moving northward since thursday or so. It picked up intensity overnight, and there are currently 2 other tropical storms out east of the caribbean as we speak. The more distant one is predicted to be a major hurricane in the next couple of days.

A word of advice to those students who are new to the gulf coast.....you should be keeping yourself up to date with this stuff, and be semi-ready to pull chocks at all times. Waiting until the mainstream news issues a hurricane advisory/watch is not a good plan. Check this site for details:

National Hurricane Center

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Current picture:
atl_overview.gif

And I agree with Pew Pew, Ana could be a factor for those of us in MS or the FL panhandle. Probably too early to guess where Bill's track will take him

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We are busy trying to ensure the tailhook gets moved somewhere well out of harms way. Dave from Meridian is loading the sandbags.....luckily he didn't cash for clunkers his truck yet ;)

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
A word of advice to those students who are new to the gulf coast.....you should be keeping yourself up to date with this stuff, and be semi-ready to pull chocks at all times.

AKA don't be like MIDNJAC and wake up one morning and wonder why the F everyone is pulling chocks and leaving town. However, it is a good excuse to drink...

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
It basically popped up out of nowhere last night. I woke up this morning, checked the weather, and saw a tropical storm warning for us.

Yep...she slowly crossed the FL Keys most of yesterday...peak gusts 24 kts...dropped 3-5 inches of rain here, and clearly showed signs of slow CCW rotation...was a lousy day...great day today...but now lookin' out for next week!!
icon8.gif

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Ana, followed by Bill...

Weather casters just last week couldn't resist mouthing off about how light the season's been so far. Everyone knows it doesnt really start till August, anyways. Fools.

Just to piggyback of JACs post, keep a bolt bag with all your important stuff ready to go. I had a credit card, checks, some cash, dogs Vet records, and a suitcase full of clothes when I lived in CC last year. That's all you really need if you need to get outta dodge rikki tikk.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
AKA don't be like MIDNJAC and wake up one morning and wonder why the F everyone is pulling chocks and leaving town. However, it is a good excuse to drink...

True story. My first notice of hurricane Dolly was the hurricane warning. I spent the morning scrambling to pack all my valuables away in boxes I could throw in my car, and moving everything else several feet above floor level. It was a pretty busy season in CRP last year (almost had Ike bullseye us), so that taught me the importance of this pretty quickly. To piggyback off schoolbubbas piggyback, I always just kept my important documents and valuables in a couple rubbermaid containers I could throw in my trunk quickly. If you live on the coast, keep a half tank of gas minimum during hurricane season. That can be one of the first services to go in the face of an impending storm.

You can count on the official TRACOM order to hurrevac coming out late enough to ensure you are among the last people to leave town (or more likely not at all if the storm isn't going to be a direct hit). Your IP's will fly out in the squadron aircraft once things look iffy, and everyone else will be waiting and wondering what is going to be the final word. I'm sure it is a delicate balance the Commodore's have to walk between wasting a ton of money on a hurrevac, and ensuring the safety of their commands, so don't take this as a dig......just know that you need to be prepared to weather the effects of a nearby storm.