• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heads Up P'Cola - TS Claudette (16AUG09)

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Bill looks to be bad, but tracking well to the north of us, aiming towards the Carolinas. And Ana is projected to weaken into a depression pretty much once she hits Cuba...could get interesting when she comes back into the Gulf afterward though.

MasterBates

This is where the puma is nice. Throw TV on bed, suck in the slides, pull the service umbilicals, and GTFOOT. (Get the FUCK out of town)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
could get interesting when she comes back into the Gulf afterward though.

This. IIRC Katrina was a weak category 1 when it hit southern FL, broke down to a tropical depression, but rapidly intensified to cat 5 once it got into the calm warm waters of the GoM. It can happen literally overnight.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everybody chill. Claudette sprung up overnight, yes, but that means she didn't have enough time overwater to soak up much energy. Plus, there's some wind shear keeping all the CBs piled up on the east side of the eye. Everything to the west, including P'cola, might get a couple inches of rain.

Right now it's dead calm and was partly-cloudy at sunset. One band of t-storms passed through this afternoon. That was it. Just because it has a name doesn't make it Scary Evil.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Everybody chill. Claudette sprung up overnight, yes, but that means she didn't have enough time overwater to soak up much energy. Plus, there's some wind shear keeping all the CBs piled up on the east side of the eye. Everything to the west, including P'cola, might get a couple inches of rain.

Right now it's dead calm and was partly-cloudy at sunset. One band of t-storms passed through this afternoon. That was it. Just because it has a name doesn't make it Scary Evil.

Not sure about everyone else, but I was talking about the other storms out there, although I do think Claudette is going to screw me out of a flight tomorrow :(

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Not sure about everyone else, but I was talking about the other storms out there, although I do think Claudette is going to screw me out of a flight tomorrow :(

I would be more concerned with evacuating than flying JAC. Get your priorities straight.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
True story. "Hurricane Follies".

To add on to this, those of you with families:

Keep your Hurrevac info up to date...especially the cool websites they make you use (can't remember the name, live in the PNW now, just have to worry about hippies and tsunami's)

Keep enough money set aside for 2 tanks gas and 2 nights hotel (almost bit me in the ass for Ike) and don't leave town until told to by your command (bit several people at VT-35 in the ass for Dolly and Ike).

I was an E-3 for Ivan while in A-school in P'cola back in '04...was in a hotel for 5 nights, and went through much gas driving up to Birmingham to evacuate and eventually up to Iowa to wait 9 days for the base to reopen. Also had to replace a transmission on the same drive (fucking Sable) I went through almost 3000 bucks, of which I got back nothing. I didn't know we got money for evac's and wasn't aware that NMCRS would float me a loan for a tranny...

Plus, have a good idea where the storm is going before you evacuate. We had one of the guys in my class evacuate from Corpus and drive to Houston for Ike...whoops! His neighbors house was destroyed and he got lucky his dad had a brick house and didn't get schwacked too hard.

The military will reimburse travel expenses (hotel + gas) for MANDATORY EVACUATIONS only... Keep that in mind when you leave and decide where to go...you may get out 24 hours ahead of a storm (say, Ike) and then have the base decide NOT to mando evac, and get stuck with a prety hefty, unneccesary bill, for jacked up gas and hotel for two days...like most of CRP did for Ike...

I sandbagged and stayed put, deciding being a pilot student damn near made me an AG and it (Ike) was turning north...

And my last bit of advice: always have a camera on hand, to document damage, gas gouging, or stupid human tricks...plus some cool pictures of shit destroyed.

Pickle

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I would be more concerned with evacuating than flying JAC. Get your priorities straight.

"Other storms"? Ana is still east of PR and is already falling apart, and while Bill has more scary potential, it's still well out to sea and all the forecasts have it either going up the East Coast or back into the Atlantic.

No one's evacuating. Escambia and Santa Rosa didn't open their EOCs and they didn't even close the beaches on the island.

Nothing is fucked, dude. You're being very un-Dude. :icon_smil

EDIT: That being said, there's going to be a shitload of CBs around MS/AL/NWFL tomorrow. I wouldn't count on going flying much.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
What a weekend to be on a cross country. Getting told to hold short in Houston wasn't bad but now sitting in New Iberia watching all of the gulfcoast sigmetted.....not fun.