• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hell Hath No Fury...

What Do We Call Her

• Shocker

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Lynx

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phoenix

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Fury (Now with Permutations!)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Kestrel

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Lightning II (Now With More Death)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Spitfire II (Now were Reaching)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Black Mamba

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Piasa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Durka Duster

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • WHO CARES?

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Looks like we will soon find out the name of the F-35, I'm so giddy, I've fallen in love with the plane all over again. When I get back to Texas, I'm gonna have to take a trip to Dallas to see the facility:D

F-35 Link

Is it Phoenix? Maybe a Lynx?
Ideas for the F-35s name are ample, but for now it's top secret
By DAVE MONTGOMERY
STAR-TELEGRAM WASHINGTON BUREAU

2061423-858513.jpg

STAR-TELEGRAM/RODGER MALLISON
Many military aircraft are named after creatures of the air, but not always birds. The F/A-18 fighter jet, shown here, is called the Hornet.

WASHINGTON -- Will it be a soaring bird of prey, a galloping beast or a force of nature, like generations of previous warplanes bearing names such as Eagle, Mustang or Lightning?

Or will it convey the noble tenets of democracy with a name like Liberty or Freedom? Or even human emotion, such as Fury?

Five years after the Pentagon embarked on the joint strike fighter program, the Lockheed Martin F-35 is just weeks away from getting a name, and the final recommendations are as closely guarded as plans for an Air Force bombing strike.
One authoritative recommendation comes from Lt. Col. Art "Turbo" Tomassetti, a Marine pilot who flew the X-35, the prototype for the future F-35, during competitive tests in 2001.

After the flights, Tomassetti said last week, he and a half-dozen pilots and engineers gathered "over a couple of pints" to mull over a name.

"We went through a whole list," he recalled. "It had to be something that all the services could relate to." The consensus, he said, was Fury, with adaptations for each of the services -- Sky Fury for the Air Force, Sea Fury for the Navy and Storm Fury for the Marines because, he said, "the Marines storm the beaches."
über gay

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Shouldn't it be "Fury II," since the original Fury was the short-lived naval version of the F-86. Still---LAME!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Shouldn't it be "Fury II," since the original Fury was the short-lived naval version of the F-86. Still---LAME!
Still beats Growler.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
"Growler" is the best example of out-of-touch leadership. How about we call the F-35 "Felcher" while we're at it?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
OR, its just really confusing:

hurrihist39.jpg

:confused:
Hawker Fury...

hawker%20fury%20I.jpg

Also, a Hawker Fury...

12--201_neu.JPG

A Hawker Sea Fury...

lmpic4.jpg

Sky, Sea, Storm Fury... "with your powers combined, I become Captain Planet/America!"

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Which of these things is not like the other?

Fury, sounds like "fairy," but its better than "Musketeer," which sounds like "Mouseketeer," and is French.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Who actually gets to pick the name of a new fighter? It should be voted on by the community that it's going into. Then things might get interesting...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You're giddy over naming an aircraft? Okay :confused:

How about A$$Jockey!!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:
Who actually gets to pick the name of a new fighter? It should be voted on by the community that it's going into. Then things might get interesting...

Well, if the leadership in DC that picks the name gets it wrong, the community just picks their own anyway...

How many people call the F-16 a Fighting Falcon? It's a "Viper" as picked by community. They got it close on F-15 as Eagle is used quite a bit, but the B-1 is the "Bone". On the Navy side, an E-2 is a "Hummer", not a "Hawkeye" and the S-3 is a "Hoover" even though the official name is "Viking". In F-14 community, "Tomcat" and "Turkey" were used interchangeably and "Rhino" seems to be top pick for "Super Hornet". The list goes on and on...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
They struck down "Poseidon" for the P-8A because there's a nuclear missile named that. I voted for "Poseidon". If they go with "Orion II" i'll be annoyed.

It's an Airforce committee that names planes.

The P-3 is officially called the "Orion" but we lovingly call it the "War Pig", sometimes we even put a "Mighty" in there :D

Coota0

None
raptor10 said:
When I get back to Texas, I'm gonna have to take a trip to Dallas to see the facility:D

über gay

Isn't the plant in Fort Worth?
What's the official name of the S-3, I've only heard Viking?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Dallas Fort Worth, its all the same thing... Plus I'm from California

Hey anybody for turning this into a poll? I dont want to emulate something that was on f-16.net without support from the forum.

edit: I just realized that I forgot to link to the article, super sorry about that oversight, wont happen again.

Original post has been edited, here it is again http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/14599468.htm

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:

Overseeing the naming process is Gen. T. Michael "Buzz" Moseley, the Air Force chief of staff who grew up in Grand Prairie.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:
Yeah, they tried that w/ the G model Hornet. They didn't "like" any of our suggestions, although I don't think "Shocker" had been thought of at the time.

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
raptor10 said:
Dallas Fort Worth, its all the same thing... Plus I'm from California

Whoa there buddy. Dallas and Fort Worth are not the same thing at all. Dallas flat out sucks balls. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
end threadjack