• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hello from OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanVR

First liberty weekend (0406 26-27)

letting everyone in on what's going on

so far we've alreay done o-course (non-graded) twice, several 3 mile squad runs, 1 3 mile individual run, 1 4 mile squad run (today), individual movement course, compass course (practice), lots of run circuits. lots of push/pull drills (12 pull-ups, then 30 push-ups, 10 pull 25 push, 8 pull 20 push).

We also did a 5 mile hump, SULE 1 (hump on monday this week, SULE 1 the day after).

One test so far (General military subjects 1) and weapons handling test.

I am in Alpha company, 5th platoon (5 platoons total) and we started with about 308 candidates total. Last friday once they started accepting DOR's we went down to 253 ish.

Its definately hard but its by no means impossible. Pt is the hardest thing for me (257/300 on PFT) and i was suprised by the number of candidates that can not adapt to simple instructions.

The hardest thing in the first week is learning how to properly speak and address the staff

"Good moring rank here, Candidate your last name requests permission to speak to rank+name of person you want to speak to"

and so on.

I have to get off this computer so i'll post more next weekend maybe.
i won't be able to answer any questions so don't get mad if i don't respond to them.

Ryan Von Rembow
Candidate
PLC-186-C

Taxman2A

War were declared.
RyanVR said:
"Good moring rank here, Candidate your last name requests permission to speak to rank+name of person you want to speak to"

So you don't call them "sergeant instructor" and "platoon sergeant" anymore?

RyanVR

Correct, they all wear black belts and you refer to them by rank.

If anyone has detailed questions, you can email them to me at rvonrem_uark.edu where the _ is @ (to avoid spam)

and i'll try to answer them next time i get liberty and have access to a computer.

Later,
Candidate Von Rembow
PLC-186-C

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
This is an open ened question to Ryan or anyone else who has gone through OCS. Is that a typical rate of attrition in OCS? I figure thats roughly 17% thus far based on the numbers Ryan gave us through the first three or four weeks. Just curious to know how much everyone's classes shrank over their 6 or 10 week evolutions.

Dustball

2nd LT
I'm pretty sure the average is like 30-40% depending on the class. I think my class had like 300 or so and graduated like 190-200 something like that. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know its hard to but worrying isn't going to help anything. Just train hard and prepare yourself as much as possible.

pjxc415

pilot
Fellas,

I just got back from my second class cruise, I'm a Marine option in NROTC. I was on an amphib. Anyways, the gunny on board has been an OCS instructor for PLC and OCC classes for the past three summers. He said he has a goal of 51% attrition. I'm not sure whether or not it's typical but he was a platoon sergeant and he consistently hit his goal. He also explained his whole system of how he gets rid of guys. He has a list of everyone on his platoon. He would circle five guys at a time, his "target candidates" that he dislikes and wants to ditch. Him and his sergeant instructors then rip into these guys (most of them are given leadership positions) until they screw up and he can write his report to the CO. Thought i'd share the gouge.

Pat

ChrisAg05

pjxc415 said:
Fellas,

He said he has a goal of 51% attrition. I'm not sure whether or not it's typical but he was a platoon sergeant and he consistently hit his goal.

Surely this is an exaggeration? 51%?? I've never heard of the attrition rate being that high.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It used to be that high back in the days of Col Fox. There was a steady stream of guys on the way out but that was 1990-1992 time frame

Taxman2A

War were declared.
When I went in the summer of 02 we had between 40-50%, counting the physical drops at the beginning through the week 9 boards.

bighuggies

What were the main causes of drops? Were they for not qualifying on the PT tests, physical injuries, candidate voluntary quits, instructors dropping candidates who aren't hacking it (physical, mentally, leadership wise, or who just don't know their left from their right)?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
bighuggies said:
What were the main causes of drops? Were they for not qualifying on the PT tests, physical injuries, candidate voluntary quits, instructors dropping candidates who aren't hacking it (physical, mentally, leadership wise, or who just don't know their left from their right)?

Lets see... we had one or two get sent home during the first 3 days because they didn't pass the medical screening for whatever reason (here's a hint to all future candidates: don't show up and say "my knees have been really sore lately!"). We had 2 sent home for "physical injuries", in quotes because they really just wanted to quit but kept faking injuries and going to medical, it gets pretty obvious when someone tries that. If you have a candidate who doesn't know his left from his right (and you will), they will get sent home week 5 at the boards. Those that aren't completely terrible but still not good enough go home during week 7 and 9 boards. We had 13 sent home from the boards. We had 4 or 5 go UA in the middle of the night never to be seen again, I'm sure you will too. All told my platoon started at 60 (before admin and medical) and graduated in the high 30's. One platoon in my company graduated 28 I think (starting with 60).

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Exactly what are the boards looking at? I'm assuming PFT scores and leadership evaluations, but are there any other catagories they take into consideration when they decide if you stay or go? That must have absolutely friggin' sucked for those guys who got sent home in week 9.

el_bastardo

You're evaluaed on academics, physical fitness, and leadership, leadership, leadership. Not just while you're in billets mind you, but when you're an indian, being a good follower, and leading by example in what you do.

LIFTER

I know that everyone and their brother at OCS talks about how important leadership is, but from my days in india co this is how i personally interperted the breakdown:

PT: 60%
leadership: 30%
academics: 10%

Screwing up on a squad run or not climing the rope was an instant chit. Being one of the guys that ran 21-22 min 3 mile runs, a lot of PT was pretty tough for me, especially in that damn humidity.

from what i saw, candidates who could run a 18-19 min run seemed to have no problems and just sailed through juniors. When it came to leadership, everyone caught hell, some a little more than others, but i didn't hear of any specific leadership chits or candidates being sent to boards because of their performance (same with spear evals)

of course, things might be completey different in echo company - i'll tell you in 7 weeks.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
LIFTER said:
of course, things might be completey different in echo company - i'll tell you in 7 weeks.

They won't be different. I agree with your breakdown of OCS grading. PT is everything there. This is especially true with the squad speer evals you will do. The squad rankings always look like this

#1- A prior candidate who knows drill inside and out and helps those around him adapt to OCS.
#2- The fastest runner
#3- The second fastest runner
#4- The third fastest runner

You get the picture. The point is that if you go to OCS running under a 19 minute PFT, it's unlikely you will get sent home. If you go to OCS running over a 23, it's unlikely you will graduate.

Of course, there are always those that run under 19 minutes that have no heart, no integrity, or no common sense. At the same time you always have those that run over 23 that have more heart than anyone else and put full effort into everything they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.