• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

here is my situation (long read)

NightStalker62

ok heres the basics:
1) i was in the njrotc program at my high school for four years (lt.)
2) two of the colleges i got accepted to was suny maritime (has a nrotc program) and rutgers
3) my asvab score was 77
4) i chose to go to rutgers instead since its closer to home and other personal reasons
5) if i do join the navy i am striving to become a seal (yes i know how hard it is) or probably be a submariner due to the fact since my nsi (mcpo) was on a sub and from the stories he told me i would love it

ok from there these are probably the three choices i have left open for myself:
1) i go to rutgers for four years and then continue with my civilian life
2) i go to rutgers for four years and then i join the navy and would start off as an e-3 due to my four years in the njrotc program
3) i go to rutgers for two years and attempt to transfer to suny maritime with the nrotc two-year scholarship

with this information i have a couple questions about the nrotc two-year scholarship and i hope i can get some answers from this message board:
1) will i have to provide a sat score for the scholarship even though i will be in college for about a year and a half once i apply for the scholarship? (1040 was my highest which i know isnt close to acceptable so i would probably have to take the new sats to get a higher score)
2) what preparations should there be for myself if i choose to attempt the two-year scholarship?

thanks for your time and i know i am making it very hard on myself but i guess thats the way i like it. i hope to get some answers and some info about the two-year scholarship.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
NightStalker62 said:
2) i go to rutgers for four years and then i join the navy and would start off as an e-3 due to my four years in the njrotc program

...or you could do the BDCP program and go to OCS after college and earn a commission that way. Going in as an E-3 after four years of college isn't that good a deal.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Not sure about #1.

Getting good grades in college and some good grades in calculus and calculus based physics. They should be the entry level math and physics for the engineers, not the dumb downed versions that are usually accepted by non-technical/engineering degrees.

You need to get in touch with some people who deal with officer recruiting in your local area and ask questions about OCS or BDCP as other options....just so you know what is out there.

Hope this helps....the math and physics advice stems from the fact that although any degree is acceptable to be commissioned, the ROTC program has additional math and physics requirements above and beyond what most non-technical degrees require. These requirements are challenging to most. If you knock them out early AND do well....IMHO your application would MUCH better than your average joe.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
4) Go to Rutgers for four years and join the Navy though an officer accession program like BDCP or OCS.

5) Transfer to SUNNY Maritime after 1 year at Rutgers and then go for the scholarship as soon as you can there.

NightStalker62

where would i find information about BDCP and OCS online? is there anything on these forums i could find having to do with those two things(i assume i could just use the search feature)?

pcola i would really have to work my butt off since i am assuming im in remedial math due to me screwing up on the placement tests. i think the best i can do it start off in precalc.

zippy if i do transfer i would not be accepted into the rotc program unless i get the two year scholarship. thats what ive been told.

thanks for the quick replies guys!!!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Do they have a college program option at SUNY? If so, IMO, competing for the 2yr scholarship would probably be easier from inside the unit (actually being involved in NROTC even if its on your own $$$) then comming from the outside.

Edit: There is a Navy OCS and BDCP section on this site...

NightStalker62

i understand what youre saying but i think i would have to transfer and then be part of the civilian population of the college and then wait to see if i am accepted for the scholarship. i just read up on BDCP so i know what that is about. i guess i have more choices than i expected. seriously, thank for your help guys. i wish i was just sure on what to do with my life but sooner or later i will choose.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Most units allow MIDN to be members even if they don't have the scholarship for their first and second years as they compete to get one. Sometimes those who don't get a 2yr scholarship are picked up for advanced standing where the navy pays them a small stipend and sends them on one summer cruise (I think) and commissions them.
Your best bet would be to call the SUNY NROTC unit and ask about their college program.

NightStalker62

i dont want to be an ass but its SUNY (state university of new york). whenever i see sunny it actually get a laugh out of me. ill look into that. thanks zippy. also how would i find out if rutgers is a good college for bdcp? is there like a list of colleges that would show me if it is needed for me to transfer or not?

flynsail

pilot
NightStalker,

You have a better chance of getting accepted into BUD/S as enlisted. It is a small community, so the quota for JO's (junior officers) getting accepted is smaller=more competitive selection.

NightStalker62

yeah i knew about that but i think if i can become a naval officer i would be able to just keep on trying until i get accepted to bud/s and then not screw up by getting injuried and just completing bud/s (which isnt an easy task).

Country Boy

Proud Father
Also your second choice being submarines, as an officer you would have to go the nuke route, whereas being enlisted you wouldn't have to. I'm not saying good or bad things about either way, that's up to you and your feelings towards bud/s.

NightStalker62

yeah im not being arrogant or anything but i think i have potential to become a naval office but if that actually does fail my backup plan is becoming an enlisted which will probably better my chances on getting into both programs and if i cant become a naval officer it would be amazing to make it up to mcpo.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
GO RU!!!

Up Stream, Red Team
WE LOVE THE DANCE TEAM
Rah Rah RUTGERS RAH!!!

yes... I'm a dork - but I sat front row painted in red & black with a big fake fro to get on ESPN, so I cant be that bad.

Note... I didnt really read any of the posts... just the first one.

-Texan