• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

here is my situation (long read)

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
Keep applying for that scholoship. I got it my junior year with a 2.8 GPA and a 1030 on the SAT. There is always hope. Usually, from what I've been told is that the 2-3 year scholorships are for those (like yourself) who enter the program later in their college life. What happens is that as some people DOR oout of your year class you can take up the remaining scholorship they leave behind since the Navy has already bugeted those funds. Its a great deal if you get one. Being a college programer is not bad either. You pay more in the end but get the same results. If being in ROTC is your posion then your best bet to get a scholorship is by making good grades and even as a civilian, take the ROTC classes that are offered and follow the scholorship curriculum if you can, that way you can pick up scholorship/college programer advanced standing and not have to worry about playing catch-up with your peers.

NightStalker62

yeah if i get the 2 year schlarship ill transfer to the school that has the program and join in my junior year.

another question. should i do lots of extra curricular activites? im not going to work this year to focus on academics so i guess i can do clubs. any other ideas for extra curricular activites?

mrcoffee

If you transfer to SUNY you better really like ships, because that's all you're going to be learning about while you are there. I went to school across the sound at Kings Point, and trust me when I say both schools are nothing like regular colleges or even the other service schools. You more or less get two choices of major: Engine or Deck . I think Suny is offering other majors now, but they aren't too different. You also get the privledge of spending a year on a very sh**y yet pleasantly decrepid 1960's cargo ship.

If you really want to be a SWO, go to SUNY. If you want to be a sub guy, go to Rutgers, major in something very math intensive and do awesome at it. Any job interview where a 4-star admiral asks you calculus questions is no joke.

P.S., If you are a fellow Jersey guy, another option is to go to Fordham and still take NROTC at SUNY. Hit me up if you have any other questions.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Dude, just try to get an EOD contract and enlist. BUD/S is for people who actually enjoy being neck-deep in freezing mud for most of their careers. EOD (or SWCC, better yet) you can still do the commando stuff, but you aren't banking an entire career on not breaking your back on the Coronado o-course.

"i chose to go to rutgers instead since its closer to home"

...no offense, but "close to home" is the last place you'll be as a SEAL, not to mention being indecisive about it. You want to be a diver, I can tell. If I'm wrong, sorry to presume...it's just the difference between being a good, consistent 5-10 mile racer and one of those psycho ultramarathoners.

NightStalker62

mrcoffee ive been to suny a couple of times when i was in high school for drill comps. and for an open house so i know what to expect there. doesnt fordham have their own rotc program anyway?

highlyrandom if i were to go into naval special warfare i would like to do seals. i understand everything i would get myself into if i went into bud/s in terms of training. i dont know because ive watched gi jane but because i actually know the traning you must go through, the pt that you have to do to get accepted, hell week, etc..

i was also waiting for someone to bring up that rugters stuff. that was because of a very bad injury my father got into recently and if i was closer to him it would be easier to see him. there are also other reasons but they are personal. i know saying it makes me feel like i would be homesick but that isnt the case.

once i make my decision i will be full aware of what i am getting myself into. its just now i have a little while to think hard due to me going to college.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Well I feel like an ass now...sorry to hear about your dad. Anyway yeah no prob with BUD/S, just be sure you can run twenty miles without stopping before you go in to sign any paperwork. Good luck!

WRV 85

Go experience college, if you have the money to stay in then stay...you can always enlist and go to BUDs after you graduate. Go get wasted at a party...or two or three. Go to football games, tailgaters...just enjoy yourself. Does Rutgers have an ROTC program? I'd say that if you have a sport...join a club team AND ALSO workout on your own. Also, if you're interested in becoming a SEAL you might want to check out www.crossfit.com or at least look at the 10 week warning order for BUDs...you'll have to do a google search on that. Bear in mind that you should have some EXPERIENCE weight lifting before you start crossfit. They have some pretty badass workouts on there. Hope that helps a bit. Lata

NightStalker62

its ok highlyrandom. i also want these first two year of college to show me what i really want to do with my life. im one of the many who dont really know yet but ive had the navy on my mind for years so i want to be positively sure.

WRV im going to stay in college no matter what but im not sure about the transfer. im either thinking about nrotc or bdcp. i dont like to drink so there goes the getting washed at parties idea. :) ive seen the 10 week order for bud/s so many times. i memorized little parts of it when i was younger because i looked at it so much. if i dont do anything other than study and have a little fun i would be able to fit in a workout routine no problem but i need to get adjusted to college for a couple days/weeks.

NightStalker62

im just updating since im getting itchy to go to a officer recruiter but i just want to make sure if i should even bother since im only in my second semester of college. will the recruiter even care since im not even close to 60 credits yet. i just want to finally commit to it and get into gear and at least show the recruiter thant i want to attempt to get into the program. i started working out or i am actually just doing the PRT i used to do in NJROTC and i am pretty much meeting the minimums and a little more. i am also getting better grades than i expected so i feel very positive with the position im in. all i want to do now is to some extra-curricular stuff and maybe a job this summer. i feel like getting CPR and diver certified since maybe that would look nice and im going to take a summer class or two since i am going to attempt to graduate in 3.5 years but im shooting for a BA and i know thats a huge negative for the navy these days. i am also going to take the new SAT and see if i can apply for the NROTC two year scholarship next year and if i get accepted then its a whole new ballgame.

well there it is. i want to thank you all for helping me out and giving me the information i needed.