• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Here's why you memorize EPs.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Good airplane for it to happen in. Great glider.

I wonder how the glide characteristics differ without the prop. I'll bet it performs a surprising bit better.

You also gotta wonder how many miles away the prop finally landed if it stayed intact.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I wonder how the glide characteristics differ without the prop. I'll bet it performs a lot better

Someone asked that in a systems class here in advanced (I guess those AF kids are useful for something - no stupid questions, right?). Obviously a prop feathered is always better than windmilling. According to our systems instructor, a feathered prop will only create a minimal amount of drag vs having no prop. But we all know those systems guys are a little crazy, so take that for what its worth. I'm sure our aero whiz kids will have some better gouge.

Personally, Ill keep my bit of extra drag ;)

Hats off to the guy in the story above.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I think any decrease in drag he would get from the missing prop would be more than overshadowed by the ass-nasty aerodynamics of that giant jagged hole in his engine cowling.

Reactions: Tom