• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Herniated Disc

calebbaker50

Hey, just came across this thread and had some questions. I read through the Navy Med publications and cannot find anything that for sure says you would be DQ'd from flying if you received a steroid shot in the back. I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experience with this issue. I don't have a herniated disc or anything.

I had at one point had pain that ran down my left leg, got a shot near my tailbone, and then it went away and has not returned in nearly two years. I got one on the right side of my tailbone for the same issue, and the pain is gone. MRIs came back clean and there is no indication in my back that it would be causing the effect.

I guess I am just curious if this would raise any red flags, or if it would consider me disqualifying when applying to OCS for SNA. I plan to apply next year once my degree is complete.

Any and all help is appreciated, and if anyone has any insight, I am welcome to it!

Thank you guys!

-Caleb

Mouselovr

Contributor
Hey, just came across this thread and had some questions. I read through the Navy Med publications and cannot find anything that for sure says you would be DQ'd from flying if you received a steroid shot in the back. I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experience with this issue. I don't have a herniated disc or anything.
My gut says you should be fine. NAMI waiver guide has a brief section on disc herniations that talks about epidurals as part of treatment and that waivers may be granted once clear of symptoms. It should be the same for you as even though it wasn't a disc issue, you got the shot then it never came back.

I know a guy who severely herniated multiple discs with crazy sciatica and ended up getting several epidurals while he was enlisted. He's now an SNA.

Also, IMO, careful putting your picture and name on a public forum.

calebbaker50

My gut says you should be fine. NAMI waiver guide has a brief section on disc herniations that talks about epidurals as part of treatment and that waivers may be granted once clear of symptoms. It should be the same for you as even though it wasn't a disc issue, you got the shot then it never came back.

I know a guy who severely herniated multiple discs with crazy sciatica and ended up getting several epidurals while he was enlisted. He's now an SNA.

Also, IMO, careful putting your picture and name on a public forum.
Thank you for the response! I am hopeful that everything will work out!