• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High AOA?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Gotta imagine they have the sooped up gear on that bad boy, you see him slam that down?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
can the pilot even see in front of him angled up like that?

No, I don't think so. I believe that was one of the breakthroughs of the testing program, I think there was a cable show on it once.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool and interesting, but probably not terribly useful in everyday ops. "Let's see, Vern, how can we come up with a landing configuration that maximizes both drag AND required thrust?" :D

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool and interesting, but probably not terribly useful in everyday ops. "Let's see, Vern, how can we come up with a landing configuration that maximizes both drag AND required thrust?" :D

Brett

I think the Navy helped revive the program to see if some application could be used in everyday CV ops. Not to say that F/A-18's would be landing on the boat like that but they wanted to see if that type of theing was feasible and if even a little bit could be applied to the boat.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
ESTOL (Extremely short take off and landing) was the goal of the program (so I've read) Imagine large aircraft being able to land and take off within a carrier length, I have no idea what the impact on aviation, civil and military, would be but I'd imagine it would be large...