• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High year tenure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, just curious about this. I've looked (admittedly not very hard though) and was trying to find out how high year tenure works as an Officer. I figure I will have approx 12 years in when I get my commission. Given that how will high year tenure work? Will I be able to do a full 30 years if I should want to? Also, what's the time requirement for advancement between the different ranks as an Officer? Thanks in advance.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Great question. Been wondering the same thing. I have 9 years and was wondering how far I could advance before 20/22 year retirement.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Pretty sure that the counter resets when you get Commissioned. We had a senior cheif back when I was at ROTC who I'm pretty sure would be over the limit for an Ensign.

I can't back that up though ...

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Enlisted time counts as time in service for pay and retirement purposes. But, you have to meet the time in rank requirement to get your promotions. I'm sure you know all of this already and I'm missing the point of your posts, but just in case..here ya go.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, to kind of go along with this as well. Many of the LT's that I see signing something sign as USNR. When do you transition from the Reserve component on to full active duty and what is the difference? Why do they start you on the USNR and does this also apply for prior Enlisted?

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
does anyone know how it would work with Reserve time? Assuming I'm accepted to OCS I'll have three plus years. So once I get commissioned would I only have 17 years to retirement?

Kycntryboy

pilot
I'm pretty sure 98% that that is right, right now I am in BDCP and I am equivelent to an E3 right now and my two years leading up to my date with OCS counts towards my total years.

flynsail

pilot
As jboomer said, the typical career promotions will be the same. However, don't you have to be a certain paygrade to continue doing 25-30 years? If so, it might be a problem for someone with lots of enlisted time.

fc2spyguy,

Try doing a search on augmentation.

helmet,

Try doing a search on reserve time or retirement.

I have read the information for both of those on this site, before when I did a search. There really is alot of good info on this site in the 'archives'.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yeah, reserve time doesn't count toward retirement. But what does count are your "reserve retirement points". Basically you collect these points for every day (or is it every drill) you are training. I'm not sure if you collect 2 1/2 points for a drilling weekend or 6 points for each drill (2 drills/day). I was in the reserves for 5 1/2 years and still don't understand how it all works. But I think every drill equals one day on active duty....therefore 360 points would equal one year of active service. Run a search, someone explained this a few months ago, I guess I just didn't pay a whole lot of attention!

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
i'll sift through the archives to see what i can dig up...

half-day= 1 drill
one day= 2 drills
drill weekend= 2 days= 4 drills

stupid confusing crap...

saltpeter

Your prior enlisted years counted towards years in service for retirement and also for pay purposes, i.e. O-1E, 02E, 03E. As far as having to make rank, 04 and above, your counter starts over. I believe your first pass for 04 is at the ten year mark and again at the 12 year mark, if however, you fail to promote after the second pass your booted. If they boot you and you have augmented to the active Navy they will have to pay you a years severence pay, if you haven't get a copy of the classified because you'll need it. All officers are commissioned into the reserves, Academy included, and can request accepetance into the active NAvy after 2 years. 01 through 03 are automatic and include having to fog a mirror. The ability to remain in the active NAvy for 25 - 30 years is highly competitive and also depends upon year year group of commissioning.

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
Saltpeer hit the nail on the head.........

**Off Topic**

Saltpeter- your name have anything to do with that rumor that is always spread through Boot Camp that they put saltpeter in the eggs to keep the guys from getting "aroused" at Boot Camp? Just curious.......

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Trust me, if they are putting stuff in the eggs they missed mine cause I was having no problems in bootcamp. Morning wood is not the best thing to sport on the line at GQ in the morning. Funny as hell, but still embarrassing. I think that is why they give everyone 3 minutes to make their rack in the morning first thing so they have time to 'calm down'.

Status
Not open for further replies.