• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High year tenure

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltpeter

Yup, it's also the reason why OCS gives you weekends off after the fourth week. That way you can spread the love with the yokales. Although, only a true man will seek out a true brick to bring to the dining out - if they still have them - pass the PORT.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Just to toss my hat in the pool and answer the first question:

As a commissioned officer, you can do a max of 30 years if you make captain. If you don't make admiral, you retire. As far as spyguy with 12 yrs prior, you'll only need 18 years as an officer to make the full 30, but since 12 of those years was enlisted, you can do longer than 30 (total).

If you have 9 years like jg5343, you can retire at 20 as an O-3E. Also, keep in mind if you make O-4, you need to do 3 years as an O-4 to get retirement pay for that pay grade. Under the high-3 program, each year you do after 20 is an extra 2.5% added to your retirement pay, maxing out at 75% for 30 years. So if you like what you're doing, staying past 20 ain't such a bad idea: Keep getting BAS/BAH and build a better retirement.

Yes, even if you're prior enlisted, you'll be USNR. Basically, all officers (minus LDO/CWO) are commissioned into the USNR. Why? I have my theories, but I won't bore you guys.

Another tidbit is that you're "safe" when you make O-4. For us non-prior folk, if you make O-4 and get passed twice for O-5, you'll be at the 17 year mark, and the navy will give you a 3-year extension to carry you to your 20 year mark.

Bevo16

pilot
Thisguy said:
Yes, even if you're prior enlisted, you'll be USNR. Basically, all officers (minus LDO/CWO) are commissioned into the USNR. Why? I have my theories, but I won't bore you guys.

It's all about the money. If the Navy seperates an officer who is USN, he has to give him seperation pay. It is a lot easier and cheaper to get rid of reserve officers. The current system prevents the navy from having to pay off a bunch of poor performing officers who can't qualify.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Bevo said:
It's all about the money. If the Navy seperates an officer who is USN, he has to give him seperation pay. It is a lot easier and cheaper to get rid of reserve officers. The current system prevents the navy from having to pay off a bunch of poor performing officers who can't qualify.

You get separation pay (USN or USNR) if you are twice passed over for promotion but are too junior to stay for retirement. The difference is that regular officers can stay until they are passed over twice while reserve officers have (or should say had before these long contracts) the possibility of EAS'ing before the are up for promotion.

The ironic part is officers who fail to promote receive separation pay while those who want to resign after fulfilling their commitment get nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.