• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hokey carrier landing trials video

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
The Demon, Cutlass, and even the A-4 on the Ticonderoga off Virginia. Back when everyone liked Ike.... Recommend breaking out your comb and hair gel and asking Sandy to be your 'steady girl' before watching this video

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Can you say 'over-rotation' on that first Demon launch?

...and what a beautiful straight-decker

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For the history buffs, here's a question:

When did the "A-4D" cease w/ its original naming convention and become the "A-4[model]"? Seems like that could get confusing, since they re-did the naming convention in the time-frame of the A-4.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
For the history buffs, here's a question:

When did the "A-4D" cease w/ its original naming convention and become the "A-4[model]"? Seems like that could get confusing, since they re-did the naming convention in the time-frame of the A-4.

18 September 1962 was the official switch-over date.
A4D-1 - A-4A
A4D-2 - A-4B
A4D-2N - A-4C
A4D-5 - A-4E

Xtndr50boom

Too bad they couldn't have stuck to the convention in re: F-35 or F-117. Bless the bureaucracy

corvettetimmy

So did they initially load those things on the ship with a crane?
They said that last plane had 25 cat shots with 24 landings.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
So did they initially load those things on the ship with a crane?...

Actually, it was not unheard of to crane aboard aircraft. For example, planes would fly into NAS Alameda (for you youngin's that's where Myth Busters does there tests) and tow it pierside to the carrier.

Xtndr50boom

Actually, it was not unheard of to crane aboard aircraft. For example, planes would fly into NAS Alameda (for you youngin's that's where Myth Busters does there tests) and tow it pierside to the carrier.

A very famous example:

420418-F-0000D-001.jpg

Loaded by crane at Alameda Naval Station -- where a different USS Hornet is docked today.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is some serious Aviation History right there . . . two major Naval A/C types getting their first looks at Das Boot, along with the granddaddy of another and one . . . well . . . complete and utter disaster.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the "crane aboard". (I was sleeping-in :) that morning). But from my personal history:

[...] Then late that night I flew the last VF-151 F-4 from its hangar at NAS Miramar, to NAS Alameda. Maintenance personnel from another squadron had been working feverishly all day to repair it, but it still had some problems. Nevertheless, we desperately needed it for deployment."

"After a tentative (and very rare, night) test flight, we had to fly it to Alameda with its landing gear locked down (there was some serious concern this "hangar queen" aircraft could not lower its landing gear again, if they were raised - so we just left them down). The navigational instruments didn't work too well either, so we just visually followed the car lights on the Grapevine, and the I-5 freeway north beyond Los Angeles to the Bay area."

"We thankfully made it OK. In the morning, this last squadron aircraft was craned aboard the Midway."