• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hokey carrier landing trials video

blackbart22

pilot
The designation change occurred because SecDef couldn't figure out how the Air Force F-110 and the Navy F4H could be the same aircraft. He considered the Navy system too complex, so made us change. It happened in my log book between October 1962 and November 1962. (AD-5W to EA-1E)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The designation change occurred because SecDef couldn't figure out how the Air Force F-110 and the Navy F4H could be the same aircraft.
It seems, at least with the 20/20 vision of hindsight and history, that there were a lot of things that particular SecDef couldn't figure out. :icon_tong

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SecDef - for MacNamara, and LBJ (SR-71 designation), it should have been SecDumb...

Reminds me of an irreverent little ditty we used to sing that included SecDef McNamara. Here are three lines of the lyrics:

"...Lawdy, Lawdy, Lawdy, I'm my mama's little Viet vet
Flying jet planes, off of flattop boats
Robert S. McNamara blows dead goats..."

Here is a link for the melody of that catchy little drinking tune and more lyrics....

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ That's right there with the famous Mirmar "Hickory Dickery Dock" tune.....

Ooow! Now there was another demarcation line in our Naval History!

Fortunately I plied my extreme and sometimes dangerous craft fairly well for my fellow man and country; and could also likewise be expected to celebrate it to an appropriate extreme – before she and others claimed me 'unworthy' ..........or far worse.

Patooie, Patricia!