• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

hornet going down

staff03

I have always wondered what happens to the a/c that go down like the hornet recently. Do they take them out of the sea or leave them there? Forgive me if this is a meaningless question.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To salvage or not to salvage?

I have always wondered what happens to the a/c that go down like the hornet recently. Do they take them out of the sea or leave them there? Forgive me if this is a meaningless question.

Several things are considered before they determine if a salvage effort is warranted. First, it depends on how deep the water is and whether it can be salvaged making it a moot point even if salvage is desired. There are two top reasons aircraft are salvaged:

1) Cause of loss is questionable and salvage would give investigators important clues

2) Aircraft contains classified equipment that cannot be left for "others" to exploit (most famous was loss of Tomcat and a Phoenix missile in international waters early in operational carrer and fears the Soviet UNion would mount a salvage attempt if US did not*)

Another reason warranting salvage is if wreakage is a hazard to navigation (in shallow water)

Salvage of F-14 Tomcat

F14inWater.jpg

US Naval Safety Center

* ...on 14 September 1976, VF-32 lost a Tomcat some 60 nautical miles north of Scotland when an F-14 experienced “runaway engines” and began to skid across the flight deck. Lieutenant John L. “Lew” Kosich, the pilot (CVW-1 staff), mindful of the pack of aircraft spotted forward, alertly steered the Tomcat toward the deck edge. Just prior to the F-14 going over the side into 315 fathoms of water, Lieutenant (j.g.) Louis E. “Les” Seymour, the NFO, initiated command ejection, and both men landed on the flight deck with minor injuries. Intensive deep-water salvage operations recovered most of the F-14A and the missile it carried. (excerpted from official history of USS John F. Kennedy)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Runaway engines?" First time I've heard that term used. Was that a broken throttle linkage going to mil?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Big concern is do we know what happened...the MIR. If it could be an endemic problem in whatever community...for example afterburner liner burn through on the F-14D...they'll go to great lengths to recover the jet. I've seen one recovered from 3000'...mostly after the engines to look for a burn through.

F1420-20Crete.jpg

FLY_USMC

pilot
One of my sim instructors was telling me the old A model Tomcat had some "quirky" engines early on. He was saying that, believe it or not, he saw several engines "runaway" for no apparent reason, wierd enough to the point that some of them the reason for it they couldn't figure out.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of my sim instructors was telling me the old A model Tomcat had some "quirky" engines early on. He was saying that, believe it or not, he saw several engines "runaway" for no apparent reason, wierd enough to the point that some of them the reason for it they couldn't figure out.
They would also apparently have compressor stalls if you looked at them cross-eyed. Like Master said, not a good mark for P&W. I was curious because in the Prowler (with our spontaneously exploding J52s :icon_tong), a throttle linkage failure can cause the engine to basically do whatever it wants depending on what the vibrations do to the FCU.

And that's more than enough NATOPs geekery for the weekend . . .

MasterBates

Different animal, but in the 60's you had 2 "throttle cables" and both were spring loaded to max-power.

One set the max power available (PAS, normally left at "fly" aka max power)
The other was a load-demand cable, which told the HMU about how much power the rotors wanted.
The governor trimmed it to the desired RPM.

Either cable breaking could cause some form of runaway (aka, high side failure).

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Different animal, but in the 60's you had 2 "throttle cables" and both were spring loaded to max-power.

One set the max power available (PAS, normally left at "fly" aka max power)
The other was a load-demand cable, which told the HMU about how much power the rotors wanted.
The governor trimmed it to the desired RPM.

Either cable breaking could cause some form of runaway (aka, high side failure).
Nerd alert! :icon_tong