• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How BASH works

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's an interesting video about the people and science behind the BASH program.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The way it works is that if you never fly below 1000' AGL, the accident Gods don't let anything bad ever happen to your jet. Come on, people! This is standard TRA stuff here!

Safety Violators!!!!

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone's bitter . . .:icon_tong

Nose

pilot
I've always wondered, with the USAF's strict adherence to their BASH policy, and with the Navy's usual "write an instruction, and 20% of the fleet might read it once" policy, is there a significant difference in bird strike rates?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Since bird strikes are allegedly more of a risk than being shot down, then perhaps our BASH program should be formulating offensive techniques with birds?:D

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
All of my near-misses wrt BASH have been on short final or in the vertrep pattern. My lone BASH hit was on deck when the pigeon or whatever it was walked into the rotor arc and flew directly into the head. The BASH report on that one was asinine. (Orientation? Fvck, we were on the line.)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I've had more bird strikes than Sesame Street during a labor dispute. That whole, "Manuever up because the bird will go down" thing doesn't seem to be working. :icon_tong

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I've always heard/used the "don't maneuver except for a flock of birds" thing...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Agree to some extent. Imminent contact--you have to do something. Some guys will turn early to avoid a single. I think that if you do that, the bird thinks you're his buddy and will turn to join!

phrogpilot73

Only one birdstrike here, had to shut down and inspect the head. No damage.

TONS of bat strikes on the way to the Great White or Ellis Lake Terf routes...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had a Mountain Dew (maybe it was Sprite) strike to the rotor while in the perch. Should I have written that up?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had a bat strike in Advanced during a pattern hop. Saw something whiz by at wing level, IP goes "did you feel that? I think we need to full stop this one." I say yessir and do so. Taxi back to the line and not a mark on the jet. I guess they're small enough to just turn into a smear.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The BASH report on that one was asinine. (Orientation? Fvck, we were on the line.)

If you like, we can cut out the middle man and you can spend some quality time with WESS and do your own BASH reporting.

Did you ever read the final report that was sent out?

KBayDog

Some guys will turn early to avoid a single. I think that if you do that, the bird thinks you're his buddy and will turn to join!

Maybe in your case.

osprey.jpg

Unless I have a chance encounter with Rhacophorus nigropalmatus, I will not have this problem.

wallaces-flying-frog.jpg