• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How competitive am I?

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
I mentioned in a previous post you can get a waiver for age. It is always situationally dependant and never a garantee

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Awhile back I started a thread inquiring about becoming an officer with the navy. My question is this, based on my current stats..what is the probability of being selected to attend OCS (officers training)?

Of course, this depends on the number of total applicants in the year. If there are 30 slots open and only 29 applicants, the probablility is 100% :tongue2_1 As for being competative, so far your grades and extra curricular activities look good. You will also need other things for your package, so talk to a recruiter to get the whole story.

Some of this might not mean much in terms of selection process, but I figured I'd post these things just to get feedback from people.

It means you have had significant involvement outside of school/work. The leaders you had with these activities can also be an excellent source of recommendation letters. Call an officer recruiter to find out more.

Then is it worth it to continue with the Masters program? Other than pay band, what are the benefits of having an advanced degree?

Having a Masters Degree may help make you more competative to the selection board, since it takes motivation to complete a degree beyond a bachelors. That said, it isn't required unless they pass a rule you'll need one for Admiral or something :D

Of course, you could finish your degree as an Officer in the Navy, and get tuition assistance or the GI Bill (if officers get these) to offset the costs. The Navy encourages the officer corps to get an advanced degree sometime in their career, so you would already have a head start. If you complete your Masters on your own (before or after commissioning), you could use the Navy programs to get a Doctorate.

As for pay, an Ensign gets paid great compared to an enlisted person, so I don't want to hear the whining...sirs :D :tongue2_1 <salute>. In fact, an Ensign gets paid better than most college graduates and in four years, officers get paid very well compared to many civilian careers.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
As for pay, an Ensign gets paid great compared to an enlisted person, so I don't want to hear the whining...sirs :D :tongue2_1 <salute>.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "great." That's a common misconception among the troops. I had an AZC telling me I should buy a house in San Diego. When I said there was no way I had that kind of cash, he rationalized it by saying, "Sir, you're an Ensign! You make more than I do!" Uh...no I don't.

To illustrate, base pay for an O-1 with under 2 years is 2416.20. For an E-5 with 4 years, it's 2124.80. Also consider that an O-1 isn't drawing pay from the ages of 18-22 (unless you're BDCP). That difference in pay is not "great." Granted the growth potential is much better, but I was slummin' it as an Ensign.

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
Thanks Mustang83 for clearing that up. AND the pay for an O-1E Is going to be GREAT FOR ME! My wife and I are talking about one more child after Pensecola. I hope I get selected!

MasterBates

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "great." That's a common misconception among the troops. I had an AZC telling me I should buy a house in San Diego. When I said there was no way I had that kind of cash, he rationalized it by saying, "Sir, you're an Ensign! You make more than I do!" Uh...no I don't.

To illustrate, base pay for an O-1 with under 2 years is 2416.20. For an E-5 with 4 years, it's 2124.80. Also consider that an O-1 isn't drawing pay from the ages of 18-22 (unless you're BDCP). That difference in pay is not "great." Granted the growth potential is much better, but I was slummin' it as an Ensign.

And not too long ago (when I was an Ensign, now I feel old) O-1 under 2 was ~$1750.

There were a couple senior 1st classes or Chiefs in my OCS class that took a pay CUT to get commissioned.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
Two questions. This might have been answered already but I'm still not sure. In USD how much (generally) would someone out of OCS be likely to be making per annual??

Do I have the option of earning an advanced degree while a commisioned Officer? I'm not asking if it's in the realm of possibility....I mean to say, do I have a reasonable opportunity in working towards an advanced degree at the same time while functioning as a commisioned officer? In otherwords would I have to go hell over heels just to fit it into my schedule?

Thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Two questions. This might have been answered already but I'm still not sure. In USD how much (generally) would someone out of OCS be likely to be making per annual??

Do I have the option of earning an advanced degree while a commisioned Officer? I'm not asking if it's in the realm of possibility....I mean to say, do I have a reasonable opportunity in working towards an advanced degree at the same time while functioning as a commisioned officer? In otherwords would I have to go hell over heels just to fit it into my schedule?

Thanks

1. It varies based on geographical location due to BAH...I'd say you make from 35-42K depending on BAH. Go to www.military.com and cruise the pay section to see BAH rates and the current payscale.

2. There are options to get your masters, but chances are they'll be part-time while on shore duty. In other words, you probably have the same options in the civilian world, because getting a masters on your own time is up to you.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
2. There are options to get your masters, but chances are they'll be part-time while on shore duty. In other words, you probably have the same options in the civilian world, because getting a masters on your own time is up to you.

I work forty hours per week. I shold note that it's a job. It's obviously not my career choice otherwise I wouldn't be here..so I manage to squeeze a couple of hours per week devoted to class. I just wonder since I'm going to devote my so much of my time to the military what I can accomplish in my spare time.

What is the name of the standardized test I would have to take to enter OCS? How difficult is it exactly?? I ask since tests freak me out.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
BTW. This may sound like a silly question but how concerned should I be about the time factor?? I turned twenty five two months ago. I finished school (4 year), but plan on continuing. Problem is, I still haven't got my foot in the door which I so desperately want to. I am interested in going into either intelligence or something related to the law field while in the navy. What is the cut off for most of the postions in either of those branches??? I should note that right now I am not seeking aviation or anything related. I aspire to go into the feds some years from now. In about ten years (unless I have served in the military) I will have almost no options left...and that's a very scary feeling. Thanks again.

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
The last time I saw the max age for commissioning into inteligence was 35. As far as the law area goes, there is the JAG corps. (If you want to know how the JAG corps really operates do not base it on the show) Here is the JAG website. It has a list of programs for becoming a JAG officer.

http://www.jag.navy.mil

Also the max commissioning age for JAG is 42.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
Just a few more questions. The information that I've been getting so far has definately been helpful. To go immediately to OCS, what would be the standardized test I'd be required to take?? Do I have to take the ASVAB, even thoughI am appying to OCS?? I should note that I'm not especially gifted at anything math or science related. Throughout my entire education while in college I've only taken one math class, and no science classes. However I excel in vocabulary, and reading comp. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that there is a greater emphasis on the mathmatical component of this test..

titusmcgrifth

No, you have to take the ASTB,. Talk to an Officer recruiter, you can generally take the test at the recruiting office. It's 6 parts.

1.) Math (Intermediate Algebra with basic geometry and arithmetic)
2.) Reading Comprehension (Extracting meaning from passages)
3.) Mechanical Comprehension (Basic Physic problems)
4.) Spatial Apperception Test (Taken if you are going SNA, SNFO, AMDO, or INTEL)
5.) Nautical and Avaition History/Knowledge (Everything and anything boats and planes)
6.) Follow-up (mix of all 5 parts)

Part 4 and 5 are generally taken by anyone going into SNA SNFO AMDO or INTEL, I'm not certain about the rest of the communities thoguh. Good luck.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
What is the best way to prepare for this test?? Is there study material?? What if you have no background/sufficient knowledge in anything related to mechanics, aviation, or in the nautical field at present time????

I am interested in intel, and the jag program. I beleive that I have the potential to learn and do better. I have no prior knowledge though.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If I were to pursue a career with the military (specifically Naval Officer) Then is it worth it to continue with the Masters program? Other than pay band, what are the benefits of having an advanced degree? I've just started in the process so I'm wondering if someone can give me advice...This may sound like a silly question but how concerned should I be about the time factor?? I turned twenty five two months ago. I finished school (4 year), but plan on continuing... I am interested in going into either intelligence or something related to the law field while in the navy. In about ten years (unless I have served in the military) I will have almost no options left...and that's a very scary feeling. Thanks again.

Alright, just a couple of comments...

Apply now. You can always go back and finish your masters either online or at a school during your shore tour, or if your a good bit complete by the time you are picked up, sometime during your sea tour if the deployment cycle is right.

As it stands right now, the max age to get picked up for a federal 1811 position is 37 (There are some waivers out there, but few and far between from what I understand- largely because the max retirement age is 57 and under FERS you need 20yrs for an 1811 pension (1.7% of your pay for the first 20yrs)

If you do a 4yr stint in something like intel, you'd still get out with plenty of time to get on with a government agency and you can buy back your active duty time to count towards a FERS retirement and stay reserves if you want.

There is no "ideal" path to get into govt service... A masters will help sure, but IMO a military background will help out just as much, or perhaps more depending on the field (Mil service will seperate you from the pack of applicants who apply straight out of grad school with no work experience-IMO). I had friends who people pulling for them to get on with the agencies they did, and their process took a year (and it was "fast" tracked... other peoples process took almost 2).

Having completed a Masters will not get you paid anymore in the military right off the bat. It may help you on a promotion board waaay down the road but will do nothing in the short term. Therefore, you don't need to wait till you finish to apply... doing so is only wasting time. If went straight to the govt after school, your most likely only going to start off as GS-9 instead of a GS-7. If you started off as a 7, you'd pickup your 9 one year later. After that, it doesn't really matter.

Timing may be everything, but you won't know what options you have if you don't apply.