• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How different are Helo Pilot licenses?

feenix

Hello all,

Before I get anywhere near deciding what to fly in the military, I had a real world application question:

How different are Helo Pilot Licenses? Are they different at all, from that of someone who would fly a C-130 or a Jet?

If they are different, can one who chooses Helo's be apply to fly a cessna on the weekend for kicks?

Just curious...

Thanks for your time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here's a basics:

There's two basic powered licenses: rotary and fixed-wing. If you only have a rotary certificate, you can't go fly fixed-wing and vice-versa. In the Navy/Marines/CG/AF, you get both by the time you're winged.

feenix

Really...thank you. I thought maybe rotary pilots would have both, but I didn't think fixed wing pilots would as well...

Thanks for the info

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
There's two basic powered licenses: rotary and fixed-wing. If you only have a rotary certificate, you can't go fly fixed-wing and vice-versa. In the Navy/Marines/CG/AF, you get both by the time you're winged.

Ok...I'll bite... I'll have a rotary cert. when I wing?:confused:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Its also way more expensive for most rotary wing civilian students than their fixed wing counterparts....

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I think feenix interpreted the answer as jet/prop guys receiving their rotary rating as well. As far as I know, this is not the case. Only helo and osprey guys get their rotary cert through the military.

phrogpilot73

What means this "unrestricted" Naval Aviator?
Not restricted to F/W or R/W. Only Rotary Wing guys are "Unrestricted". For example, a helo guy can go fly SAR at MCAS Cherry Point - and split his time between an H-46 and a UC-35 Citation Jet. Fixed Wing bubbas can generally only fly the fixed wing stuff...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
How different are Helo Pilot Licenses? Are they different at all, from that of someone who would fly a C-130 or a Jet?

I'm taking the mil comp test in the next few weeks and here's what they told us we'd receive when we finished.

Commercial Pilot
Single Engine Land
Rotorcraft Helicopter
Instrument Helicopter and Airplane

I believe the only licenses jet guys get are Commerical, Single Engine Land, and Instrument Airplane.

phrogpilot73

I'm taking the mil comp test in the next few weeks and here's what they told us we'd receive when we finished.

Commercial Pilot
Single Engine Land
Rotorcraft Helicopter

I believe the only licenses jet guys get are Commerical, Single Engine Land, and Instrument Airplane.
Not necessarily...

If you go through Vance (T-37 Tweet days) and are a helo bubba:
Commercial Pilot
Multi Engine Land (Centerline Thrust Restriction)
Rotorcraft Helicopter

If you go through Vance (T-37 Tweet days) and are a jet guy:
Commercial Pilot
Multi Engine Land (Centerline Thrust Restriction)
Instrument Airplane

If you go through T-6's or T-34s, and are a helo guy, it's what you said.

If you go through T-6's or T-34's, and are a jet guy, it's what you said.

If you're a prop guy:
Commercial Pilot
Multi Engine Land
Instrument Airplane