• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How different are Helo Pilot licenses?

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
so whats the process for getting those after you wing, is it just part of finishing advanced or do you have to seek it out?

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
For helos, you can take the military competency exam after you get your instrument qual in advanced. The test itself costs about 90 bucks i believe, with the 'gouge class' run at Pensacola aviation costing another 100.

You can take the test anytime after winging, however to get the fixed wing endorsements, you need to utilize your t-34 PIC time (unless you get the time elsewhere), which means taking the test and applying for the certificate before that time expires, which is 12 months from the last month you flew the t-34.

Generally for most helo studs, go through advanced, get your instrument rating, take the FAA exam, get winged, apply for ratings, get ratings in mail.

note: taking the military exam is on your own time, usually on the weekend (via Pensacola Aviation anyway)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
For helos, you can take the military competency exam after you get your instrument qual in advanced. The test itself costs about 90 bucks i believe, with the 'gouge class' run at Pensacola aviation costing another 100.

You can take the test anytime after winging, however to get the fixed wing endorsements, you need to utilize your t-34 PIC time (unless you get the time elsewhere), which means taking the test and applying for the certificate before that time expires, which is 12 months from the last month you flew the t-34.

Generally for most helo studs, go through advanced, get your instrument rating, take the FAA exam, get winged, apply for ratings, get ratings in mail.

note: taking the military exam is on your own time, usually on the weekend (via Pensacola Aviation anyway)

The way Pensacola Aviation is running it now is they let you take the class/test anytime you want, even before winging. You pass, finish up the syllabus and then take your logbook back to them and they process your licenses. Makes it easier instead of having to worry about it after winging.

MasterBates

Also, I believe the V-22 guys get MEL and Helo.

I could be wrong on that, but since they solo both the T44 and TH57..

Any Osprey guys care to chime in?

Also, the Mil Comp exam is not a one time deal. I am adding on MEL for $100. And there is no exam for the add-on, just show logbooks to a designated examiner.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
V-22 guys should get powered-lift licenses.

FAR 1:
powered-lift means a heavier-than-air aircraft capable of vertical takeoff, vertical landing, and low speed flight that depends principally on engine-driven lift devices or engine thrust for lift during these flight regimes and on nonrotating airfoil(s) for lift during horizontal flight.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
the Mil Comp exam is not a one time deal. I am adding on MEL for $100. And there is no exam for the add-on, just show logbooks to a designated examiner.
Can't you go to the local FSDO and save the $100? Any FAA operations type can do it and they aren't allowed to charge you.

Heloanjin

pilot
Plus, rather than paying for the gouge class, just buy one of the test prep books (like Gleim). The book is a lot cheaper.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think feenix interpreted the answer as jet/prop guys receiving their rotary rating as well. As far as I know, this is not the case.

Yeah, sorry about that. Was writing quickly. You're correct, as others have mentioned.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Plus, rather than paying for the gouge class, just buy one of the test prep books (like Gleim). The book is a lot cheaper.
MB doesn't have to take the test again, he just needs to do the paperwork. That's free at the FSDO.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Most Osprey guys I know had trouble with their single-engine cert, as it had been more than 12 months since they flew in a T-34.

phrogpilot73

V-22 guys should get powered-lift licenses.

FAR 1:
powered-lift means a heavier-than-air aircraft capable of vertical takeoff, vertical landing, and low speed flight that depends principally on engine-driven lift devices or engine thrust for lift during these flight regimes and on nonrotating airfoil(s) for lift during horizontal flight.
Agreed, but what MB was talking about was the license they get from the training command stuff. I would agree with both MB and you.

MEL because they trained in the T-44 (multi-engine turboprop)
Helo because they trained in the TH-57 (helo)
Powered Lift because of what they fly in the fleet.