• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does NROTC work?

Mongo22

The real scam is NUPOC. Try getting E-6 pay, a 12k signing bonus, and time toward retirement. I had a couple of guys who had made successful referrals...because of that they were making E-7 pay for over a year while still in school. Not a bad deal for those so inclined...

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Mongo22 said:
The real scam is NUPOC. Try getting E-6 pay, a 12k signing bonus, and time toward retirement. I had a couple of guys who had made successful referrals...because of that they were making E-7 pay for over a year while still in school. Not a bad deal for those so inclined...

Yeah, but they take it out of your ass once you're commissioned. :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Fly Navy said:
I still think that's total bullsh!t that they do nothing until OCS and get service time, and I did 4 years of NROTC and get sh!t out of that.

Cool program though.

haha...yeah, and don't even get me started about how I (and other Mids) have more "sea-time" than 1/3 of the OC's at my unit (plucked straight from power school)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
One of my roommates in flight school was a BDCP type... he went to a school at which he could get in-state tuition and was relatively inexpensive. In that situation, he got a sweet deal.

I was NROTC. My college expenses were approaching 40K a year by the time I graduated. Having tuition covered by ROTC, room&board by being an RA, and having beer money through stipend and summer work was a very, very good deal.

Not having a cent of debt to my name (except my mortgage, which isn't really debt) is a darned good deal.

It just depends on your situation

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Hmm, my education cost $130,000.

And (speaking as a taxpayer) it was worth every penny. [/sarcasm]

edit: 1) for clarification. I actually read my quote AFTER I was sober. 2) for splelling

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChunksJR said:
And (speaking as a taxpayer) it was worth every penny. I love the smell of smart-a$$ sarcasm in the morning...smells like...bull$hit :D

Not sure I understand what you're saying?

navychick

If you want to be a pilot for sure, I would get the scholarship because then you can count on commissioning (assuming you dont pull some dumbass move during your college time and get busted). I took my ASTB twice. Once my freshman year just to get an idea of what it was like, then again at the end of my soph year right after I took physics. I did much better the second time, but I know some people who took it freshman year and nevr took it again...so who knows.