• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How low can you go?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
So it's a trade off? Not quite sure I'm getting you.

When you're that low, radar can't see you as far out and neither can the human eye. It lets you get closer to your intended target without them detecting you. If they can't see you, they can't shoot you.

Chubby

Fly Navy said:
When you're that low, radar can't see you as far out and neither can the human eye. It lets you get closer to your intended target without them detecting you. If they can't see you, they can't shoot you.
Or run away in their case ... it is the French.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Thanks for clarifying.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
Chubby said:
Or run away in their case ... it is the French.

say what you will... those guys can fly. I've seen 4 / 5 man squads flying LOW formations through the mountains in southern France, and I'll be the first to say that these guys are slick.

Nothing quite like waking up just after dawn to the sound of 4 Mirages screaming by at a couple hundred knots and close enough to throw things at.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
AllAmerican75 said:
That was way cool. That kind of flying takes some real balls. DOes NATOPS allow for flying that low?

NATOPS, sure. OPNAV 3710, T&R Manual, etc, probably not.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
NATOPS, sure. OPNAV 3710, T&R Manual, etc, probably not.
I can't speak for other communities, but for the most part, stuff like that isn't part of 3710 or NATOPS (as stated), but is delineated in various T/M/S SOPs and training rules for various type of missions/flights. I think Hornets can do 200 ft, and Prowlers can do 500 ft.(used to be able to do 200 until certain USMC hotshots fvcked it away for the rest of us - thanks). Just out of curiosity, where do other communities have these kinds of operating limitations spelled out and what are they?

Brett

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
This is perfect time to talk about flying low in the Cessna 172..........just joking, just joking

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
I don't think he was talking about the boat. :moptop_12

@ Brett

Right on. With a lower 'demo' in the RAG.
Yeah, I take my "lower demo" with an all JO crew on a NFL low level. :D

Brett

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
Brett327 said:
I can't speak for other communities, but for the most part, stuff like that isn't part of 3710 or NATOPS (as stated), but is delineated in various T/M/S SOPs and training rules for various type of missions/flights. I think Hornets can do 200 ft, and Prowlers can do 500 ft.(used to be able to do 200 until certain USMC hotshots fvcked it away for the rest of us - thanks). Just out of curiosity, where do other communities have these kinds of operating limitations spelled out and what are they?

Brett
NATOPS authorizes P-3s to operate @ 200' AGL with operable Radar altimeter and RAWS.

As far as the video...who knew straight and level could ever be that exciting?!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
makana said:
NATOPS authorizes P-3s to operate @ 200' AGL with operable Radar altimeter and RAWS.
Interesting, I never knew what the P-3 limits were, although we would spend a lot of time at 300 & 1000 for various ASW missions and rigging. The lowest I ever went in a P-3 was flying with our skipper in Kef. I was comfortably perched atop the APS-115 RT in the flight station as we bounced in the GCA pattern at BIKF when our skipper spied some kind of ship he wanted to check out. He canceled and took it down to 90' on the RADALT (why, I have no idea - commander's prerogative). Good times.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Altitude limits were in our SOP for us (Wing). 50' day, 100' night (goggle), 200 night (unaided). They actually readjusted things fairly recently to include goggle limits, which was nice, since people on goggles had been needing to fly lower for a several years rather than entering a REALLY slow coupled approach to get down while covering a boarding team. Actual real world procedures were different of course. ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We actually did a bit of raging over Saudi in Desert Shield where there were no rules.....at least not like the states. Basic SOP was "don't ask". I have some shots buried away with Tomcats at 30-50'. The ship actually released one that made cover of Proceedings in 1991 with Tomcat at approx 70' as determined by our intel gurus...CAG was supportive so we went for it. We did a lot of tail chasing and no holds barred low levels from Red Sea. The terrain was amazing and population almost non existent. A few gosts got scared now and again though.

Another treat was Oman where there is a canyon nicknamed Star Wars Canyon. Air Wings typically had to set the only rule of determing flow because everyone and his brother headed there and raged through it like the earlier generations did in the states in the Grand Canyon. Quite something to engage their Hawker Hunters or Jaguars flying at 15' (saw a pair fly under a taxiing C-130 at Masirah...even saw shots of that later from another episode....apparently a common stunt by former Brits flying for Oman). One of them briefed us prior to DACM and when we asked about the hard deck, he stomped his foot and said "that's the deck, mate". We all got letters allowing us to maneuver down to 5K, and verbal nod to "chase" as low as we needed to go, which we did and had mucho fun. Those were the days....