• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How often are is the E6 available for selection?

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I dont know about pilots, but for NFOs I would attend all the wildcat wednesdays that you could and seek out the few E6s pilots and FOs you can. And when not at those, ask your on wing or the sim instructors for folks to get all your advice. This might put your name on someone's mind that matters, but at the very least you'll get a better understanding of what life is like. Truth be told they are the forgotten stepchild of our training, even less spots than EP-3 I think.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Every flight student naturally asks, "How did you like your fleet aircraft?" and positively phrased questions like that.

Phrase it differently. You can be pointed but tactful, just ask if they could do it all over again then would they or what would they do differently. Better yet, ask if they can tell you something that they disliked about the community.

Don't expect to get an earful of all the dirty laundry and horror stories from the community, but you'll actually get a bit of insight. Then you can decide if that's something that matters to you or if it's not a factor.

Otherwise, all you'll get is something non committal that the flying was good or the dets/liberty ports/travel was interesting, and that tells you nothing. Every community has both good and bad flying as well as interesting travel.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I dont know about pilots, but for NFOs I would attend all the wildcat wednesdays that you could and seek out the few E6s pilots and FOs you can. And when not at those, ask your on wing or the sim instructors for folks to get all your advice. This might put your name on someone's mind that matters, but at the very least you'll get a better understanding of what life is like. Truth be told they are the forgotten stepchild of our training, even less spots than EP-3 I think.
Well, EP-3 definitely is fewer, at least now. Although, I've heard the "last EP-3 NFO" rumor for about as long as the "last marine NFO", and there are still yet a couple marines in training. Wildcat Wednesday went extinct around the same time as facemasks became fashionable. For the obvious reason, although I do think it was a great way for students to talk with FOs from the different communities, including jet guys. Never had anything like that in pilot primary; all the instructors were P-3, Helo or E-6.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I will redact my previous statement about forcing delays into training. Not really sure what I was thinking when I typed that, or if I was merging two different thoughts as I saw my own groups' anthro shenanigans (that I maintain occurred as above) happening at the same time as my two friends get their first choice E6 NFO selection . And the second select of the two was actually given EP3 originally, only to be asked if he wanted to switch to E6 when a spot opened up a week later out of the blue. For a community that small, I speculate that if they can flex a bit to select someone with the right grades/aptitude that actually wants it, it'll be the better outcome. All this resulted in the E6 slot slated for my advanced class getting changed to an EP3 slot, which went to the student with the most "colorful ATJ" since all of us expressed adamant disinterest when our class-O said "if you want it, its yours."

I'll leave it with what I heard an IP say walking out of a selection presentation: "quality spread, crushing dreams." No one will ultimately fight for you better than you. Shoot your shot and ask the right questions to the right people, and when it comes down to it, be the best in your class and see what the Navy has to offer. And do well in whatever that thing is.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
42%. That's the go-to answer around here. Used to bug me... But the longer I've been here the more I understand it. The question has been asked and answered so many times. The person winging now will have a different percentage than you when you get there. It is always changing. Be prepared to accept any platform given, and do your best, and hope to get what you want! I didn't, but if I could go back I wouldn't change it. It's cliche but true that you will end up where you belong and like it (enough)
This has been absolutely true since the early days. Old fart chiming in here. Not trying to brag but give an example. I did great in flight school. I was blessed that everything came easily to me....except for the academics. At winging time, my best friend through training and I had the same flight grades, but he had far better academic grades. He got his first choice, F-4's east coast, the only fighter slot awarded that week. I got A-7's east coast and I didn't even have them on my selection card. I was devastated at the time. I had to completely change my mindset about the light attack community. Long story short, I thoroughly enjoyed my tour and was so glad I flew single seat. I eventually became a TAR (FTS now) and spent my last 10 years in the adversary business. I stayed in the cockpit my entire career (not very career enhancing) but had a blast doing the type of flying I enjoyed. Everyone has their own preferences. But if you choose to be happy and make the best out of what you were dealt, it can be a rewarding experience.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stupid meme
To be funny, memes must first make sense. Why is it wrong to make needs of the Navy match stud preferences if this doesn't totally hose things up? Should we just be assholes for the sake of being assholes, because that's how people who didn't know any better did it back in the day? Does arbitrarily beating up on SNFOs warm the cockles of your heart or something?

I must have missed the part where good leaders punch down . . .

BOMR822

pilot
I was told that the e6 may be transitioning to some version of the C-130 in the future by a class advisor. What kind of career impact would this have down the road If I would have to switch to a new platform? If I plan to stay in for the long haul should I avoid trying to select this platform?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I was told that the e6 may be transitioning to some version of the C-130 in the future by a class advisor. What kind of career impact would this have down the road If I would have to switch to a new platform? If I plan to stay in for the long haul should I avoid trying to select this platform?

It won't matter to career progression. VQ(T) is a small community as it is, and ripe with NFOs as well. If they need you to transition as a JO, they will, or later as a FRS instructor or DH if you get that far.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
The E-6B is currently scheduled to replaced in 2038, so you'll be in the plane for your JO tour, FRS/Weps School tour (if you go that route), and DH tour. The first chance you'll have to fly it operationally is most likely as a CO/XO. You might be able to get your hands early on it if you go the test route and head over to VX-20.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So...what's that like? Teaching pilots how to adjust their track to set the long-wire coil length? How to cross the red line without being seen?

It's not like VQ(T) is helicopters.
Also curious to hear more about the weapons school. I did a quick bit of googling and it seems like a pretty recent creation (2019?). What’s the syllabus like/how long is it?

jointhelocalizer

pilot
I'm only an Advanced stud heading the TACAMO route, so my knowledge is all secondhand. This is all from E-6 IPs in Primary. Only 3-4 pilots there. The rest are NFOs. Flights are averaging one 8-10 hour sortie per week. I was also told that there is plenty of time to knock out an MA/MS.

Don't know syllabus specifics. I'll let the current E-6 bubbas comment on that. I will say from the outside looking in as an SNA, it looks like a great deal. Stay in OKC, production tour/career enhancing, you get to fly a lot, you get to learn new things and help make stuff better, etc.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If I plan to stay in for the long haul should I avoid trying to select this platform?
Maybe, but not for the platform.

Want to stay in? Go to platforms with smallest ready room. Bonus points for picking communities with more pilots and less NFOs because when the airlines are hiring most pilots want to GTFO So you’ll have less competition at the boards.