• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to get the ball rolling?

yakboyslim

None
If you are going pilot and I think maybe Intel (don't know why but I believe I heard that) you will need to take all of the ASTB. Also there must be a misunderstanding between you and or recruiter. I thought BDCP and DA both get to designate what they want (or at least give first, second, third choice). You only get it if the Navy wants you for that specific thing, though.

BDCP is getting paid during the last two or less years of college while attending school like normal. Upon graduation you go to OCS and start like any other candidate. If you DOR or fail out of school you are active enlisted and will go to Great Lakes and serve out your commitment as an enlisted guy.

I'll leave it up to others to explain the rest.

Solomon

Thank you yakboyslim and blarged - your information has been most valuable. After reviewing the various programs at www.cnrc.navy.mil, it appears that I am only eligible for BDCP (though I graduated five years ago and no longer am in college). There is no mention of what components of the ASTB a BDCP candidate must take; perhaps this is the program the processor and recruiter were defaulting me to on the basis of my generic degree. (It does confirm the processor's remark that my placement is at the mercy of the board, at least.) The mention of having to pass a "swim PRT" is discouraging: though I can move myself from point A to point B when immersed in water I go under when I tread water (likely the result of too little body fat but that is simply speculation). Miraculously, I passed every level of swim lessons at the YMCA while a youth; still, I can never keep myself afloat if I am not moving no matter how fast I move my arms and legs.

beaverslayer

pilot
Thank you yakboyslim and blarged - your information has been most valuable. After reviewing the various programs at www.cnrc.navy.mil, it appears that I am only eligible for BDCP (though I graduated five years ago and no longer am in college). There is no mention of what components of the ASTB a BDCP candidate must take; perhaps this is the program the processor and recruiter were defaulting me to on the basis of my generic degree. (It does confirm the processor's remark that my placement is at the mercy of the board, at least.) The mention of having to pass a "swim PRT" is discouraging: though I can move myself from point A to point B when immersed in water I go under when I tread water (likely the result of too little body fat but that is simply speculation). Miraculously, I passed every level of swim lessons at the YMCA while a youth; still, I can never keep myself afloat if I am not moving no matter how fast I move my arms and legs.

Umm... you're ONLY eligible for BDCP if you are currently in college. But as long as you aren't past the max age limit you can always apply for a Direct Accession to OCS. You might as well take the entire ASTB when you go in--it won't hurt anything, and might help you if you decide you want to apply for a different designator. I'm not sure which designators require what part of the test, so just do the whole thing and don't worry about it.

As far as the swimming goes, you won't have to take a swim PRT as part of your application (it's an option, not a requirement), but you are joining the Navy (read, lots of time in or around the water) so you might want to work on your competence in the water.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, yak is correct. In you application for both BDCP (still in school), or DA (graduated or close to graduation), you pick your top three designators. Your application will only be sent to the communities you want to be a part of (top three) for review.

@Solomon check out http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/sanfrancisco/opo/general-information.htm for lots of pre-requisites for the officer communities available

It's more than a review; it's a formal periodic Board from that community (focused on the needs and prerequisites that think will contribute to the community and your likelihood of successfully completing training) that decides who makes the cut. It sometimes takes sumission of your package to successive boards to get selected.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The mention of having to pass a "swim PRT" is discouraging: though I can move myself from point A to point B when immersed in water I go under when I tread water (likely the result of too little body fat but that is simply speculation). Miraculously, I passed every level of swim lessons at the YMCA while a youth; still, I can never keep myself afloat if I am not moving no matter how fast I move my arms and legs.

As far as the swimming goes, you won't have to take a swim PRT as part of your application (it's an option, not a requirement), but you are joining the Navy (read, lots of time in or around the water) so you might want to work on your competence in the water.

Let's clear up the notion of a "Swim PRT" as stated as an option. It is not an option to take on top of the PRT, the swim associated with the PRT is a substitution for the running portion, but not always available. IMO, you should strive to do well in the run as you'll be doing that again...and again at OCS and it means more to Board.

The swimming part of API is quite different and stresses proficiency in a number of aquatic "feats" and "tricks" leading to qualification to serve on ships and ultimately qualification in Warer Survival (when the real fun begins in their fun machines). That's where you have show you can drownproof among other feats. The reason you have to pass these type tests (they are Pass/Fail) to get into a program as they are very proficient at teaching and coaching people through the various evolutions. So don't worry about not being able to tread water...it's all technique especially when wearing a flightsuit and waterlogged boots. They will work with you until you master the skillsets you need. Only people I've seen have issues are those who are uncomfortable being underwater in the first place and then they have to do stupid pet tricks with all the gear on.

beaverslayer

pilot
Let's clear up the notion of a "Swim PRT" as stated as an option. It is not an option to take on top of the PRT, the swim associated with the PRT is a substitution for the running portion, but not always available. IMO, you should strive to do well in the run as you'll be doing that again...and again at OCS and it means more to Board.

Well said--I just re-read my post and it definitely could have been misleading. Thanks for the correction HeyJoe.

Flying Toaster

None
Thanks for the input guys, looks like I will be contacting my OR Monday.

Going to OCS with DA definitely appeals to me. I'm still kind of up in the air about BDCP. I didn't realize you could apply this late. It seems like free money, but are there any downsides other than going enlisted if you wash (not really worried about that)?

On a slightly unrelated note does anyone have some info on the Navy MBA/advanced degree programs? Is this something Aviators can do? Does the Navy pay for all of it? Can you go to any of the choices, or is it restricted by where you are stationed? Initially one of the things hanging me up on when to apply was whether or not to go to grad school first, until, eventually I came to the conclusion that I'm going to poor when I graduate and the last thing I need is lots of debt, plus you can go to grad school at any age.

dlynes

I am in my last semester of college. I have just recently chosen to apply for a commission in the navy. Being that it is my last semester, is it obviously too late to apply for BDCP since I am graduating in 3 months?

I wish I would have considered applying sooner than I would have applied for BDCP while in being a freshment or so...had benefits and navy pay for my schooling then forfill my commitments.

yakboyslim

None
I wish I would have considered applying sooner than I would have applied for BDCP while in being a freshment or so...had benefits and navy pay for my schooling then forfill my commitments.

You can't apply for BDCP until you have less than two years of school left, so you couldn't have applied as a freshman.