• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HSL Dets

BRM21o

I noticed HSL squadrons have multiple dets that deploy at different times. Do you get any say on which one you deploy on? Thanks!

MasterBates

Not only no, but any attempt to game the system without appropriate bribes ( I like Kimmel, Yuengling, and Guiness) will result in being on the det you DONT want...

Honestly, it is usually by PRD, and how good of a pilot you are. Weak HACs usually get Strong H2Ps on their det and vice versa. A weak OIC will get 2 HACs that can run the det by themselves. A strong OIC will get the village idiot for an OPSO, etc...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Master, when I read your post, I hear the theme for the circus in my head...which is to say I think your post is accurate. :)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Not only no, but any attempt to game the system without appropriate bribes ( I like Kimmel, Yuengling, and Guiness) will result in being on the det you DONT want...

Honestly, it is usually by PRD, and how good of a pilot you are. Weak HACs usually get Strong H2Ps on their det and vice versa. A weak OIC will get 2 HACs that can run the det by themselves. A strong OIC will get the village idiot for an OPSO, etc...

Thats basically how all the IPs here in 40 have described it as well. Pretty much the luck of the draw where you end up. And I understand it can change at a moment's notice as well.

MasterBates

Like Gator said, cue the circus music...

Women are the only ones with "gauranteed" HAC cruises here. Also, they have a gauranteed cruise. But that is a whole nother can o worms..

1rotorhead

pilot
Is the HSL community having a hard time getting HAC's a full cruise? HSC has been rotating pilots out just to get them half a cruise.

MasterBates

Yep,

42 Month tour at -42 here, and no HAC cruise. Not uncommon. Some guys are only getting a 6-8 week JMC/BALTOPS and that's it.

Some H2Ps are in the squadron over a year before starting workups.

I was back from my 2P cruise before I was here a year.

I got extended to do a JMC, but then our POS boat broke, so now I just FCF and wait for my PRD.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Hokay, so...Damn you may say...that is a sweet post...

No really, I got about half of the acronyms but here is my question. This info would tend to make me think twice about going helo's...is that overstating the importance of getting out there and deploying? It just seems that being able to get operational time would be important to advancement. Is this true or is it more frustrating personally than professionally? I'm not sure thats real clear...let me know if you don't follow. Thanks!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yep,

42 Month tour at -42 here, and no HAC cruise. Not uncommon. Some guys are only getting a 6-8 week JMC/BALTOPS and that's it.

Some H2Ps are in the squadron over a year before starting workups.

I was back from my 2P cruise before I was here a year.

I got extended to do a JMC, but then our POS boat broke, so now I just FCF and wait for my PRD.

How can that be?

42 month tour for your nugget tour? And no HAC cruise? Are folks not making HAC at 500-700 total time? And what are you HSL folks doing wrong that you can't produce combat ready HAC's in the first 18 months of a nugget's tour?

When you go on your H2Pcruise, one of the biggest FITREP bullets as either a HAC or OIC of the det is that you produced 2 new HAC's from your H2P's. Period.

What's the hold up? Seriously. talk about downer.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
The 60Bs just got limited to 100 hours a month while on cruise. That in itself seriously limits the number of hours you can get on cruise, which correlates to not meeting HAC requirement times. I'm still in the RAG, but thats what the IPs are saying. I think there's more H2Ps than usual as well right now. There was a bit of a draft and now the HSL squadrons, Mayport anyway, have too many H2Ps.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
How can that be?

42 month tour for your nugget tour? And no HAC cruise? Are folks not making HAC at 500-700 total time? And what are you HSL folks doing wrong that you can't produce combat ready HAC's in the first 18 months of a nugget's tour?

When you go on your H2Pcruise, one of the biggest FITREP bullets as either a HAC or OIC of the det is that you produced 2 new HAC's from your H2P's. Period.

What's the hold up? Seriously. talk about downer.

Culmination of a bunch of different factors:
1. BUPERS sent too many new pilots in YG02-03 to the squadrons, reducing the opportunities for people to cruise. On the west coast, this was exacerbated when HSL-47 had to downsize for the carrier.

2. After the major push OIF/OEF ended, ships deployment schedules were reduced to save money. About the only cruises left on the west coast are to and from the gulf with a smaller strike group, CD ops, and the occasional OEF-P cruise. Not much independant steaming going on.

3. FLM (Fatigue Life Management) was introduced to extend the service life of the aircraft from 10,000 hrs to 14,000-16,000 hrs. This limits the number of hours that can be flown each month and over the course of a PMI cycle. Instead of pilots getting 60-80 hrs/month underway, which used to be comon, it is more typical to get 30-40 hrs. This was done partly to allow for the delay in romeo procurement. Less flight to split among more pilots means it takes longer to get the required flight time for HAC.

On the west coast things are so bad that you might only get half a six month cruise and never make HAC. I have friends that waited over 18 months to get a deployment in.

If you are in HT/VTs, this should mostly work itself out before you get to a squadron so I would not make any selection descisions based on this info. I would expect the first HT romeo selections to be within the next 6 months. (First squadron stands up in FY08 and the FRS is supposed to take about a year.) This should help fix the problem.

ghost

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
The 60Bs just got limited to 100 hours a month while on cruise. That in itself seriously limits the number of hours you can get on cruise, which correlates to not meeting HAC requirement times. I'm still in the RAG, but thats what the IPs are saying. I think there's more H2Ps than usual as well right now. There was a bit of a draft and now the HSL squadrons, Mayport anyway, have too many H2Ps.

It has been 80 hrs / month / aircraft max for the last two years. Then number has to average out somewhere below ~39.5 hrs / month/ aircraft (I think ... not completely sure) during a PMI cycle (which is somewhere around 3-4 years).

ghost

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
I would expect the first HT romeo selections to be within the next 6 months. (First squadron stands up in FY08 and the FRS is supposed to take about a year.) This should help fix the problem.

ghost[/QUOTE]

The first Romeo CAT I students are milling about smartly at HSM41. They arrived in August, and are just waiting for the new fiscal year to start. We're not sure how fast they'll move, as the syllabus courseware, etc. isn't complete yet. We already have qualified HACs and a bunch of CAT II IPs switching from Bravos to the Romeo. It's a brave new world...