• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hudson river collision creates civilian course rules

millerjd

Stayin' alive
There's an SFRA for D.C. with an associated mando class due to the density and complexity of traffic. How is this any different?

Not sure what you're asking... But it isn't different than any other SFRA's, the proposal from the FAA/NTSB is to add a new SFRA to the list, being the Hudson River.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I was responding to lowflier's assertion that the SFRA class and signoff is stupid.

ryan1234

Don't see how they could enforce that and it's stupid to begin with. TO get your license you have to study and know about different types of airspace. The assumption/requirement is already there to be familiar with your route of flight and all restrictions and airspace along it. Maybe they'll require an extra signature on a flight plan where you so swear that you have had the training. Completely asinine and a waste of everyone's time and money. People kill themselves all the time, this incident just happened to gain huge attention because of the area.

Exactly!!!

Any kind of airspace in VMC the pilot is responsible for avoiding other aircraft no matter what kind of "sign-offs" they've had.... I've been on Instrument flight plans in Bravo and still had to avoid other traffic that didn't maintian visual sep. or contact with me. The Hudson River is no different than congested training areas. If anyone thinks for a moment that you can count on the controller to call all traffic in any airspace... they are dead wrong. There is a video of a civilian pilot flying right infront of a T-38 in a MOA.... MOAs can be a huge hazard for GA aircraft yet they are allowed to fly through them no problem.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
D_Rob, I'm very sorry for your loss, but you accept a certain risk when you decide to fly VFR in a known busy corridor, and especially in a corridor where you know other people are going to be doing a lot of things other than keeping up a good scan. I've flown that corridor.

I agree that the "right side of the road" rules make sense (and a lot of people will still never read them because they won't have the TAC or will ignore them to get that great view...), but I don't agree with the closing the East River to VFR traffic unless LGA tower clears you part. If you've ever flown GA around the NY Class B you'll know why. NY TRACON never allows you to transition the Class B due to workload. They might as well just say 'East River closed" because there is no way that LGA tower is going to assume the extra load of Joe Shit the Rag Man and his other GA buddies taking a joyride up the river.