• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I don't make this stuff up...

phrogpilot73

HH-60H said:
Well, yeah sure, if you want to trim it up and go straight and level.
Any jet guy who thinks he's a "pilot" should try flying a TH-57B for 5 minutes! :icon_smil

Maybe I should have put this in the war zone... ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
Nah, its cool, we don't really feel the need to justify ourselves to anyone else. :D Ever notice all the pointy-nosed knocking that goes on, but how little goes the other way................lest someone have their feelings hurt. ;)

You're right, I have NEVER heard a point noser make fun of a bubba. ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Nah, its cool, we don't really feel the need to justify ourselves to anyone else. :D Ever notice all the pointy-nosed knocking that goes on, but how little goes the other way................lest someone have their feelings hurt. ;)

(Note: please read the above with a complete lack of hate in my voice, those things sometimes get lost in the internet.)
Ditto.

Brett

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
No one ever said 'never'. (That sentence was a mouthful.) I just heard a lot of pointy-nosed bashing in non-pointy nosed areas (primary comes to mind). <-----That may be the most ridiculous sentence I've ever written. I digress. I really just don't hear much, if any, ripping on helo guys from who I've been around for the last few years.

Just my observation. Your mileage may vary.

I never said that you ever said never..... nevermind.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
Any jet guy who thinks he's a "pilot" should try flying a TH-57B for 5 minutes!
I did ... Bell 206's and 206L's for 40 hours. I was the DO of a Part 135 operation in Texas. Most of our pilots were Vietnam vets and they insisted that I "participate" since I was a fixed-wing weenie. We serviced offshore rigs, did VIP charter -- we even had Henry Kissinger onboard once (obviously, not with me flying) , and flew LifeFlight for area hospitals. Those helos flew just like a "real" airplane when up and moving. Take-off was not that hard --- hover was initially a b!tch, but I eventually got it down just fine, as well as a decent landing after several attempts in the first few hours.

It ain't rocket science, boys ..... :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, I have seen several fixed wing guys who were good sticks figure it out fairly quickly just like I think I could figure out a Hornet fairly quickly given a little time (Notice I siad figure it out not be an aeronautic God, that takes a little more time). Our CO flew Gen Bolden (a no sh!t all world pilot/astronaut) and he figured it out the Cobra pretty fast. In fact there is a story (not sure if it's true or not) of a Phrog guy flying Gen Bolden up to Edwards and the PIC says to the good General "Hey Sir why dont you let me take it in Im pretty familiar" Gen Bolden replies "Me too, I landed the Shuttle here twice"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
skidkid said:
Yup, I have seen several fixed wing guys who were good sticks figure it out fairly quickly jsut like I think I could figure out a Hornet fairly quickly given a little time......
I completely believe it. You either have "it" ... or you don't. One of the best airline pilots I ever flew with at Braniff was a former Army/Vietnam Huey driver. A former WO with all rotary wing until he got out and used the GI Bill to buy some ratings prior to getting hired. He was equally outstanding in airmanship and headwork, in my opinion.

I have long held that you could put 100 chimpanzees in a room with helmet, goggles, and a stick .... and one of them would learn how to fly.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble ..... :)

Sam%20Monkey.JPG

Sam, the NASA Space Monkey ... circa 1958-59.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
gatordev said:
It's hard to come back from that one. I mean how do I argue against droning on for 10 hours at altitude flying straight and level? Hell, do you guys even fly now? I mean, aren't you all broke dick? I've even heard that you don't have a mission now... :winks right back at 'ya:

By the way, John, I need to talk w/ you offline sometime about one of your HI VP bubbas. I was amazed at what somebody didn't know.
Dude, I don't even have a come back... I would beg for some helo time in the back just to break up the mindless "groundhog day" monotony of staff duty...

B!tch B!tch B!tch... Tasked Tasked Tasked.... Scurry Scurry Scurry... Wonder Why Wonder Why Wonder Why... I LOVE reactionary organizations...!!!!

PM/Email me your new phoneline, I will give you a call, always looking forward to funny stories. On reflection, "it" wouldn't happen to be "jimbo" out there going through VT ground school, would it? :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
These quips that go back and forth about each other's community really are juvenile. And yet, I find them quite entertaining.

Actually, I think threads like this, or more accurately, what this thread has become, are actually helpful at times. As HH-60H has said before, a lot of times we don't know what the other guys actually do, be it pointy-nosed or otherwise. And it may actually help the studs hear about some things that don't get covered in the ENDLESS number of CBTs (god I hate those, yet again...).

I had an AF person ask me the other day if I flew instruments in my community? Uh, yeah, every freakin' day. "But that's over water," he said. Yeah and everytime you want to land at night, you have to shoot a TACAN approach to point of light w/ a needle that swings wildly. I'd love to take him to the back of the boat unaided and see what he thinks. But I digress.

Anyway, just putting something constructive back in here. I'm done. Game on.

phrogpilot73

gatordev said:
I had an AF person ask me the other day if I flew instruments in my community? Uh, yeah, every freakin' day. "But that's over water," he said. Yeah and everytime you want to land at night, you have to shoot a TACAN approach to point of light w/ a needle that swings wildly. I'd love to take him to the back of the boat unaided and see what he thinks. But I digress.
Had a Harrier guy tell me he thought that our IIMC procedures didn't make sense. "Why go lower, slower, circumnavigate, when you can climb and pick up a PAR?" My response was - "Because we can't eject. We'd like to be able to keep our eye on the ground if we have to autorotate to it."

I took a Harrier pilot up in a Phrog, and he did fine. Of course, a Phrog is about the easiest helicopter to fly. Hell, you can trim it into a hover. I often tell the young Lt's, that stick wiggling skills aren't what make you a pilot. Hell, we can train monkeys to fly. It's our headwork/SA/decision making abilities that make us pilots.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, Bombs, that's not really a dig, just a technical explaination of how it works.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
gatordev said:
These quips that go back and forth about each other's community really are juvenile. And yet, I find them quite entertaining.
"Juvenile but entertaining" - that just about sums up why being an aviator is so fun. :D

phrogpilot73

HAL Pilot said:
"Juvenile but entertaining" - that just about sums up why being an aviator is so fun. :D
I tell people that a pre-requisite for being a pilot, is not having mentally matured past 12 years old! :)