• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I got pro-rec nfo, but want pilot, options?

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
Hey all I got my second choice of snfo and not sna. My question is what possibilities do i have of transferring to pilot once i go through ocs as an SNFO

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
It can happen if the Navy is in need of SNAs down the line, but it's not a good bet. I asked around with similar questions when they wanted to give me NFO because of a vision test snafu. I'd take NFO man, it sounds like a pretty sweet gig, and you're still flyin' right? Nothing wrong with being a "hamburger helper." :D

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
From what I've read it's not easy, but possible. In the meantime, enjoy your pro-rec and your long wait for final select...

tomcatfan

yeah i would get to push the fun buttons. Talked to family members that were in and currently in, they said to take it. I can always try to get a pilot slot later while I'm in. I saw someone on here that did do it, my try to find him and see what he did. If not, i am very sure i'll still have a lot of fun as an nfo

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
good attitude man..i can honestly say if i get the same thing, i'll take it. if you kick ass at API and the stars line up just right, who knows..you maybe could cross over.

srqwho

pilot
Congrats on getting the NFO spot. Regardless on whether or not you decide to take the ASTB again and reapply, I wouldn't go into OCS and school at pcola with the mindset that you really want to be a pilot if you signed for NFO. Go to OCS dead-set on kicking butt as an NFO and if the opportunity comes along to switch than go for it if that's what you want. But I would think that the other guys in NFO school wouldn't be too excited about you being there disappointed about not being able to switch, when many of them are speechless at the opportunity to be an NFO. Good luck on whatever you decide. And again nice work on getting selected!

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Search. There is/was an identical thread to this about a week ago. I was in the same position 2 years ago and took the NFO spot. I went to OCS as NFO, commisioned, and by some stroke of luck got switched in the middle of my API wait because the navy was short on pilots. I have two friends who were in NFO intermediate, wound up getting the switch and did primary with me. The bottom line, if you dont want it dont take it, better to do it now than pray for a switch later because it is hard to do. Good luck.

J

Boomer91

EJ, I got the same thing you did with SNA as my #1 on my application. I am going to take my NFO selection because it is still a fantastic opportunity. I have a feeling I got selected for NFO due to my prior enlisted experience which is very similar to what some NFO's do in the air (more specifically E-2C NFO's). I am currently majoring in aviation flight and getting all of my ratings in school to fly all the way to my multi-engine. If by chance the Navy needs pilots in the future, hopefully that will help. If they don't, then NFO is still a killer job. Once the "aftershock" of being selected for NFO and not SNA wore off, I was extremely happy to be selected either way. Bottom line, I wanted to be an officer above all, and that happened no matter what my selection was.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
you guys talk to your recruiter and ask how many got picked from the ~50 or so that applied SNA/FO ?

panzerfinder15

Keep it, switch possible

Hey there,
As an NFO (damned by eyesight), I have to say that being an NFO will be a really sweet gig for you. YOU get to tell the pilot where to fly, YOU get to drop bombs, YOU get to be responsible for the mission! I'm pretty excited for a FO career. One thing I learned from IFS, is that flying while navigating while talking on the radio is a bit more complicated then patting your head and rubbing your belly. With that said, I have a good buddy of mine who did switch from nfo to pilot. He had good eyesight, and really good ASTB scores. He was NFO when he checked into API, and he let the LTs in Flight Management know how much he wanted pilot. The navy, at least before this month, was in dire need of pilots, even to the point where they made an old ROTC buddy of mine go aviation even though he put SWO as his first choice. If you talk to the LTs and they say there is nothing they can do for you, then work your tail off in API. And I mean work it! I am putting in, on average, 4 hours of studying every night for academics and I have a 96 average (class average of 92). There are about 4 people in my class with an average of 98. If you can get that high average, graduate API as the top of your class, you will be given the opportunity to switch so long as there is a SNA slot available, which there should be. I overheard an LT in FLTMGT 3 months ago give the top student (an NFO) a pilot slot. It happens. In other words, being an NFO will be awesome, and if you try really hard, you might be able to switch to SNA. Hope this gave you a sliver of hope if you wanted it.

tomcatfan

thanks everyone fro the advice. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you boomer. after the initial "aftershock" wore off. I realized that i will be an officer which I will be the first since my grandpa was an naval aviator. And if the possibility comes up to be a pilot then i'll jump at the chance and go for it. If not i'll kick some major butt as an nfo and hopefully be able to meet my uncle's challenge of gaining command of the Stennis:D