• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I need serious help!!!!!!

Army or BDCP

• Total voters

nelconair3

I'm a student at the University of North Dakota. I am in the Army Rotc program there and If I continue doing good I should get the helicopter scholarship that they offer. Now my dream since I was a kid was to be a jet pilot. My GPA is a 3.5 and my pt score with Army is 231. I looked into PLC but then I transfered schools and now I'm in UND. Now I'm looking to the Navy BDCP program but I'm running out of time. Im a junior and I need money for school SAP. This program sounds great but how long does it take and what are you guys suggestions? My plan is to join the Army national guard so they pay for my schooling and get contracted with ROTC. What should I do?

Thanks,
Nelly

*UND has a helicopter program that is paid by the Army if your in ROTC. So they would pay for your flight cost and once you graduate your commissioned and then head out to Ruckers to finish off your training.

Sorry about the poll.... Yes is for the Army and NO is for BDCP

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Follow your dreams. If the path your on won't take you there you must change it. Search around a bit to get info on the programs you seek.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Below average headwork for joining Army ROTC to be a jet pilot :) but I'm guessing there were other factors involved there. If you can't do BDCP, then you can at least do plain old OCS after you graduate. Both will offer you a flight contract, assuming you are competitive and get selected for one. Keep in mind that statistically, you are more likely to NOT fly jets in the Navy.....your performance in flight school of course matters a lot there, but there is also a lot of luck/timing/etc involved (ie needs of the service). If your only reason for switching over from the Army program is to fly jets, then you might be sorely disappointed. Of course if you simply want the opportunity to have a shot at them, then USN/USMC/USAF are your options.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
It's also important to know that the Army does have a sizable number of fixed wing aircraft. Though you probably wouldn't be able to walk in the door to fly these aircraft, if you play your cards right, you could end up flying something a little faster than a UH-60.

That being said, don't rule out flying rotary wing for the Army. How do you know you won't enjoy it? You haven't even started helicopter training at UND yet, try it out, and it may be the most enjoyable thing you've done.

If you want a guaranteed job flying a fast mover, I suggest you go Air National Guard, as that's really the only way that you KNOW you'll be flying a jet.

If you need money for school, consider joining the Army Reserve or National Guard while you're in college. Currently, the Reserve pays for $4500 fiscal year in tuition, and in many states, the guard pays up to 100% of tuition if you're attending a school in state. I was in the Army reserve for eight years, and I still managed to get a degree between three deployments. Remember this, it doesn't matter what your degree is in, so long as you apply yourself. You don't need a degree in aviation to be successful in military aviation, just ask around on these forums, and I'm sure you'll discover that there is an extremely diverse group of undergraduate degrees floating around out there.

If you have any questions about the Army side of the house, don't hesitate to drop me a line, I'm more than willing to chat about it.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Let's break this down, shall we?

I am in the Army Rotc program there and If I continue doing good I should get the helicopter scholarship that they offer.

As a Helo bubba, that's a pretty sweet deal. Should, however, doesn't promise anything.

Now my dream since I was a kid was to be a jet pilot.

I'm sorry. Jets are not located in the US Army...so you already sold out, might as well go BDCP. Go to YouTube, search for helicopters v. jets. It'll make you excited to go helos if you must.

I'm looking to the Navy BDCP program but I'm running out of time. Im a junior and I need money for school. What should I do?

It is the best plan for getting a commission. Period. If you can get it, get it. If you can't, well, then go with your backup plan of multiple deployments to the 'stan.

*UND has a helicopter program that is paid by the Army if your in ROTC. So they would pay for your flight cost and once you graduate your commissioned and then head out to Ruckers to finish off your training.

Again, I wish I knew that...but then I didn't realize I'd love helos until the Navy told me to...hmm...Consider the commitment if you do end up going BDCP, as there's nothing reserve about the 10 years you'll pay the Navy back for it and flight school. Good luck and whatever you do: Don't fvck it up. :)

Sorry about the poll....
Yeah, that's pretty lame. Especially because you can check both boxes. Plan that out next time, jr. :)

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
The Army does have a few jets, though their jets are limited to Cessna Citations and Gulfstreams, a G-IV I believe.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I think a better poll to provide nelconair3 a better data point was how many Navy helo pilots went to flight school wanting to fly jets?

Follow up question would be how many still want to fly jets after flying helicopters?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I think a better poll to provide nelconair3 a better data point was how many Navy helo pilots went to flight school wanting to fly jets?

Follow up question would be how many still want to fly jets after flying helicopters?

Everyone wants to fly helicopters, even those who don't want to fly helicopters

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I do find it amusing that so many people are dead set on flying 'jets' before they've ever stepped foot in a helicopter. Though I don't have nearly the experience that you gentlemen (and possibly ladies) have, the few hours I've spent flying a Schweizer 300cbi were probably the most fun I've had at the controls. One of the many reasons that I'll be happy flying whatever the big ol' Navy allows me fly. :)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
What if someone told you there was an aircraft that can fly fast, fly high, blow shit up, hover, and you get to fly it by yourself? :D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The poll says "Army or BDCP; yes or no." How is "yes" or "no" an an answer to that question?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do find it amusing that so many people are dead set on flying 'jets' before they've ever stepped foot in a helicopter. Though I don't have nearly the experience that you gentlemen (and possibly ladies) have, the few hours I've spent flying a Schweizer 300cbi were probably the most fun I've had at the controls. One of the many reasons that I'll be happy flying whatever the big ol' Navy allows me fly. :)

Isn't that a Schweizer 300 pounder on the right?

431fat-chick.jpg