• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I need to find a reason to go to Dayton

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The NATIONAL MUSEUM OF THE US AIR FORCE is a huge and comprehensive historical collection - the facility itself is huge but well organized and comfortable. The museum reflects the fact that it is a USAF funded facility - the condition of the aircraft, quality of the grounds, programs, the collection, etc.

The National Naval Aviation Museum is smaller, but more riveting of an experience. Tightly aligned to our history, he exhibits tell a story. It's home for a lot of us who spent hours there as newly commissioned Ensigns living in the BOQ, waiting for your API class to start up. Th museum is funded largely by a separate foundation with little DON funding.

jmcquate

Contributor
The NMUSAF (aka The Air Force Museum) is the gold standard. The collection in amazing, especially the foreign stuff. NASM has the national treasures, but the two locations disjoint the story, and they get preachy (the WWI exhibit comes to mind. The NNAM is the history of a small part of the overall history of the Navy, but it is the best museum the Navy has because it can display objects..........aircraft. It would be hard to build a ship museum. The museum at the Navy Yard here in DC had an amazing collection of ship models that I love, but they're not ships.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Air Force Museum was dark and dreary the last time I went and didn't tell a very good story along with the planes unlike the Naval Aviation Museum. NASM is still the gold standard for me but all three are well worth the trip.