• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I need your advice ....

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Interesting. So that's why the army uses warrant officers so frequently. My roommates brother graduated from law school, took the bar, and is now an apache pilot. I was wondering why they didn't just commission his ass.

penderwt

yut king
so young one here is gonna take us back to the topic...

You're definitely in a situation where you don't have time to jack around, but you definitely have plenty of time to do what you need to do in order to get some wings. Here's the step by step:

1) Get into a 4-year college/university, and start working full-time (at least 12 hrs. per semester) toward a Bachelor's degree. I believe you can even do this through a correspondence or online degree program.
2) Contact an OSO (officer selection officer) if you're unable to find one via a lil' research and/or www.marineofficer.com, just email me at penderwt@muohio.edu, and i'll call a friend from oklahoma (saw that's where you're from in your profile) who went to ocs with me last summer, and he should have the oso's number.
3) Get into OCS - I'd recommend trying to do PLC in one 10-week or two 6-week sessions before you graduate, because it will count down the road as time in service when it comes to getting paid, and you don't have time to dick around just waiting to go to ocs after you've graduated college.
4) Graduate college - alakazam, you're a 2nd LT in the U.S. Marines.
5) Within a few months, you go to TBS (the basic school) to learn the basics of being a Marine officer. Even pilots go through this cuz e'ery Marine be a gunslinger. TBS is 6 months long.
6) After all this, then you get to go to flight school. there's a few 'phases' of flight school which i'm not even going to pretend to know anything about.
there you have it, the six easy steps to the making of an aviator in the United States Marine Corps. Let it be known that as of the writing of this post, i have zero rep points.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Goober said:
Downside is you're essentially Chopper Dave in the News5 copter for your career...

Yeah, if Chopper Dave could carry 16 Hellfire on his helo and unleash death and destruction. 3
Warrants fly a buttload. I met some Warrants in Kuwait who had 10K+ hours.

KWpilot

I am an Army Warrant who was prior navy enlisted who was a 53 crewchief at HM-15 a long time ago. I would go head to head with anyone of those pilots. I've been deployed to Afghanistan flying a single engine helicopter at high altitudes and high PA yanking and banking flying less than 25ft AHO. The Army gets a bad rap somtimes but the Army probally has the best helicopter pilots in the world. And if I was an employer who was hiring a pilot I would take an Amry pilot over any other service.

this may sound kinda crazy, but I have heard of a W-4 or W-5 getting a position at the company level...very very rare, I think I might have heard it over a disscussion at a get together a couple months ago..don't qoute me on that..but I think thats what I heard

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
KWpilot said:
And if I was an employer who was hiring a pilot I would take an Amry pilot over any other service.

I'll buy that for the simple fact that Army WO's rack up the hours unlike the other services (USMC & USN in particular) who hold many other collateral duties other than "Just being a pilot". But to say an employer will hire an Army pilot just because he's an Army pilot is pretty far fetched.

yeah, I would take the best guy qualified to do the job. Every service probably has their golden points, I'm sure Navy, Marine, Air Force, and Army pilots all are just as good as eachother, there is no way to match skills just based the service and training they received; and pissing contests aren't the way to prove it. Every service has a different mission. I'm sure Army doctrine and Marine helo doctrine differ in many ways, just as Air Force fighter Pilots and Navy fighter pilots probably have different priorties. This is just from the outside looking in, please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll stand corrected :)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
HH-60H said:
Yeah, if Chopper Dave could carry 16 Hellfire on his helo and unleash death and destruction. 3
Warrants fly a buttload. I met some Warrants in Kuwait who had 10K+ hours.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know exactly what you mean - didn't meant to imply they were point A to point B guys. Hell, here in DC or in SoCal I'd say that giving the traffic guys Hellfires would go a long way to improving the traffic situation. Just meant they'd be professional pilots - period.
KWpilot said:
I am an Army Warrant who was prior navy enlisted who was a 53 crewchief at HM-15 a long time ago. I would go head to head with anyone of those pilots. I've been deployed to Afghanistan flying a single engine helicopter at high altitudes and high PA yanking and banking flying less than 25ft AHO. The Army gets a bad rap somtimes but the Army probally has the best helicopter pilots in the world.
Agreed. I love my Navy brothers, but I think it's safe to say you guys have the whole helicopter market wrapped up considering you start in helos and stay in them. Don't know if I'd necessarily say "better than any others," but flight time def. builds proficiency. Just my .02 - I'm a FO, so what the hell do I know? :D