• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE ... Long gun. What would it be??

brownshoe

Contributor
Remington 870 and an extra slug barrel.

big game
small game
birds
home defense

Inexpensive, lasts forever and will always go bang when you pull the trigger.

Steve

Yep, very nice inexpensive gun. The 1100 ain't bad either I've shot both for trap. However, my favorite trap gun is a BT 99.

Steve

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Sako 85 Bavarian in 30-06
Sako.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Hard to go wrong with the AR. Since the "gun" is the lower I can still have one with multiple uppers in radically different calibers and satisfy the "
one long gun" criteria :)

Besides, I own a 20 gun safe so I don't have to make decisions like this (umm but it is out of room!)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
No doubt - the Army's new M110 sniper rifle by KAC. Not that Knights's would ever sell you one but I can only hope :) A semi auto 7.62mm rifle that is as accurate as any military bolt action - and fully surpressed. Could you ask for a better toy?

800px-M110_ECP_Left.jpg

lmnop

A full length M-14 with a nice optic. Nothing more, nothing less.

I like my acog alot, it's really versatile if you pair it with a docter or a j-point on top. That said, I don't know if I'd put any 4x scope into the 'nice optic' category.

Gun wise, I'd also vote for an M14 or a 7.62 AR variant.

Redux

Staying away from the ugly evil black rifles it has to be something in an 06 over a .270 because of ammo availability. There ain't no surplus because it doesn't exist. The "one rifle" concept has to take into consideration it's use. Target/fun Garand or Springfield. Hunter goes to a pre 64, sporterized Mauser, Springfield or even a 1917 Enfield, Remington 700 or a BAR good choices ALL IMO. 30/30's while fun don't pack the wallop or range.
Weight is a consideration plowing through a woods all day, yup even a lousy pound matters.

Lawman

None
DSA FAL. Built up as a Marksmanship battle rifle something along these lines but with a more conventional adjustable stock.

FAL_SA58_SPR.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...I gotta admit I'm curious...I'm as big a fan of battle rifles as there is (AR's, M-1, M-14's)...but for those who chose one, do you do anything but go to the range?

To me, a single rifle has to do alot of things that these aren't capable of.

Lawman

None
Yeah...I gotta admit I'm curious...I'm as big a fan of battle rifles as there is (AR's, M-1, M-14's)...but for those who chose one, do you do anything but go to the range?

When the Zombies come I have a shotgun with a satchel bag full of shells. Single Rifle problem solved.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'm more of a handgun guy, and admittedly, my Garand response was more of a "word association" thing. As in, when Wink says "you can only have one rifle," what's the first thing that pops into your head? Thought about it more and this came to mind . . .

I'm still anal about the whole semi-auto thing, though. It's so intuitive. Point. Click. I suppose a Scout-like semi-auto would be a pretty good deal.

MasterBates

I can hunt with my M1 if I have to. I can use it for defense if need be. It's not optimal for hunting, but is far superior for defense to a bolt action scoped hunting gun.

AR would be better for defense against unarmored bipeds, but lacks against larger/tougher game.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...just to clarify...not knocking the choices...

I'm just coming from a background where semi's aren't legal for hunting...there are several states like this....even more...and I know that I'll get some crap for this...the .223/5.56 is a marginal round for antelope/deer.

I can hunt with my M1 if I have to.

Depends where you are...

Yes, I know that people have successfully used them etc, etc, etc...and someone here probably killed a brown bear with one....but facts are facts.