• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In your face Michael Moore!

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
I would like to see Moore loose this case, and I would also like to see the President go after the Washington Post and other news sources that reveal classified information from anonomyous sources without revealing the leaks to the government. While these cases seem like arguements against free speech, I think that the defendants should be forced to pay for the consequences of their statements.

T

TXHusker05

Michael Moore's doesn't really qualify a free speech defense. If you didn't get authorization from that soldier, then I don't see how it is legit. Unless the soldier released the segment to NBC News who in turn released it to Michael Moore. Then there might be a roundabout defense. There shouldn't be. Moore should have to pay him $85 million and then forced to donate another $100 million to assorted military charities like the Special Operations Warrior Foundation... just for being a douchebag.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not a lawyer, but IMO this goes way beyond free speech into the realm of libel/slander. You could make a good case that this soldier's reputation suffered by being anti-war.

usmcecho4

pilot
nittany03 said:
Not a lawyer, but IMO this goes way beyond free speech into the realm of libel/slander. You could make a good case that this soldier's reputation suffered by being anti-war.

I guess appearing at the side of Sen Kennedy in speech that, "slammed President Bush and his administration for going to war in Iraq based on political considerations" shouldn't in any way lead me to believe that Sgt Damon was/is "anti-war."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/14/kennedy.iraq/
http://www.senate.gov/~kennedy/statements/04/01/2004114558.html

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Way to dig up some research.

I wonder if that would have an effect on the case.

Especially since it seems to be based on the fact that he is being "falsely portraited as being against the war"

Also: Why is this just now coming up? That movie has been out for awhile.

Sgt. Peter Damon, 33, a supporter of President George W. Bush and the Iraq war, claims Moore misused the footage to portray him "in a false light" and as "disagreeing with the president about the war effort and as disagreeing with the war effort itself."

"It was kind of almost like the enemy was using me for propaganda. What soldier wants to be involved in that?" Damon told CBS's local television news affiliate. "I didn't lose my arms over there to come back and be used as ammunition against my commander-in-chief."

Edit: I am starting to have my doubts about this. Libel is actionable: "If the matter be understood as scandalous and is calculated to excite ridicule or abhorrence against the party intended, it is libelous, however it may be expressed."

I don't think it is intended to excite ridicule or abhorrence against Sgt Damon himself.

If simple misrepresentation is actionable, then the evening news could probably be sued every day by someone.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

snizo

Supply Officer
HueyCobra8151 said:
Also: Why is this just now coming up? That movie has been out for awhile.

The disagreement isn't new - just the lawsuit. There is a documentary out called Fahrenhype 9/11 that shares a few interviewees with Fahrenheit. This particular soldier seemed pretty upset that he had been selectively quoted for a guy he didn't agree with and had even never met.

Fahrenhype was released the same year as Fahrenheit.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
snizo said:
The disagreement isn't new - just the lawsuit. There is a documentary out called Fahrenhype 9/11 that shares a few interviewees with Fahrenheit. This particular soldier seemed pretty upset that he had been selectively quoted for a guy he didn't agree with and had even never met.

Fahrenhype was released the same year as Fahrenheit.
I'd just like to hear the explanation WRT being with Kennedy. I can understand, being from his state, if he was unwittingly ushered into some kind of Kennedy photo-op, but it is kind of curious. If I were inured and Barbara Boxer asked to meet with me, or otherwise address the press, I'd tell her to go F herself.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I'd just like to hear the explanation WRT being with Kennedy. I can understand, being from his state, if he was unwittingly ushered into some kind of Kennedy photo-op, but it is kind of curious. If I were inured and Barbara Boxer asked to meet with me, or otherwise address the press, I'd tell her to go F herself.

Brett
I can see it now.

Boxer: Hi "soldier," how are you doing today?

Brett: (blurry eyed and all drugged up) Are you....you Barbar Boxer?

Boxer: (with cameras all around her) Yes "soldier" I am. I wanted to stop by and share a few moments with you

Brett: Get....the...fvck....away....from....me

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
I can see it now.

Boxer: Hi "soldier," how are you doing today?

Brett: (blurry eyed and all drugged up) Are you....you Barbar Boxer?

Boxer: (with cameras all around her) Yes "soldier" I am. I wanted to stop by and share a few moments with you

Brett: Get....the...fvck....away....from....me
I'd do my level best to work in the C word at some point in the exchange, to be sure. :D

Brett

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Anyone else see FahrenHYPE 9/11, made by Dick Morris?? If so is it the same guy in the movie?

snizo

Supply Officer
Sgt Peter Damon is the guy. He is in pretty bad shape in Fahrenheit, but is identified in the lawsuit and the credits for both Fahrenheit and Fahrenhype.

I had been resisting watching Fahrenheit, but finally did today along with Fahrenhype. What a sad documentary full of obvious half-truths and information taken out of context. You don't need to see one of the many counter-striking movies like "Fahrenhype 9/11", "Celsius 41.11", or "Michael Moore Hates America" to see that the "documentary" is pretty bogus...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I have never been able to sit completely through farenheit, especially after losing good friends over there. I dont normally get angry at anything, but I punched through a wall in my room trying to watch that POS.