• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Inflight refueling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
HooverPilot said:
Good point, the Viking has done the hose multiplier mission to a limited extent, but the Rhino will be better at this. Is this going to be the core of the tanking mission though? I don't think it will, I think it will just be a bennie. The main tanking mission (and the one that will get CAG's attention fastest) will remain being the recovery tanker, and solid hawking with that extra gas that you didn't tell anyone about so you can squirt it to the desperate Hornet before they have to take a swim because they went below ladder is what the ability of a tanker will be judged by. Just my opinion though. :)

Yeah, I am just waiting for that 5 wet Rhino to launch off the Alert 5 on the last night recovery for the guy who boltered three times and there is no gas airborne.

Did that once in a maxi A-6 (26k of gas) for a Hornet who promptly trapped right behind us. The S-3 had no gas left (bad night) and we were the only jet airborne with the exception of the E-2. Signal "dump Charlie". ;) For an A-6 with buddy store and tanks, max trap was about 4.5 . Even with burning, I think we dumped about 18k of gas that night. :icon_rage

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
VetteMuscle427 said:
Dumped 18k of gas eh? How often does that happen? That probably cost as much as my car.

About a $1 a gallon, so at 6.5 lbs per/gal figure just under $3000.

Didn't do the big dumps too often but since our max trap was low, you usually saved that last 1000 lbs to dump on downwind (or at about 4 miles at night). Tankers had to hold at least 2k (day) or 4k (night) so that got dumped as well. Over the course of cruise, it was a lot of gas.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i'm amazed at how much gas gets dumped (and wasted) ... i watched this KC-135 (4 second video shot with my camera) dump a full load of gas in order to make his landing weight, he didn't offload any of it to us because we were still fat on gas ourselves & had to dump down ... must've flew 100nm before he shut the dumps off.

S/F

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That rivals paying SNAs to sit around for 6mos as something that would probably get taxpayers all riled up if some reporter got a hold of the story.

(pardon the run-on sentence)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure the hippies would have a field day if they knew how much gas we actually dump. It's just a fact of life though.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.