• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting IAP's...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Second, most fleet helos (as mentioned previously) only have TACAN. Our precision approaches include the mighty PAR.

And it yet again brings up the question of "why are we teaching GPS???" You learn a GPS in the T-34 to move on to the next a/c that has GPS, a TH-57? After that, what are you going to fly with a GPS... a T-34?

If fleet aircraft don't have it, why do we train for it? It certainly isn't buying the IP anything (since we can't do LNAV/VNAV mins).

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
And it yet again brings up the question of "why are we teaching GPS???" You learn a GPS in the T-34 to move on to the next a/c that has GPS, a TH-57? After that, what are you going to fly with a GPS... a T-34?

If fleet aircraft don't have it, why do we train for it? It certainly isn't buying the IP anything (since we can't do LNAV/VNAV mins).

I think the better question is why don't the fleet aircraft have/use it.

Trust me, I understand its limitations, and am all for really learning your complete skill set but the time has come and GPS should be part of that skill set.

Masterbatini -
words
-Scooboni

Hillarious...mods...little help and a username change?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I think the better question is why don't the fleet aircraft have/use it.
Because nothing in Naval Aviation could possibly be so dependent on precision to possibly justify such an expense. (too lazy to search for the damn roll eyes, so just imagine they're actually here)

nugget81

pilot
The GPS in the T-34 is a piece of trash.

Agreed. Civilian light trainers have much better GPS systems like the Garmin 430 or 1000. Perhaps the T-34 has it's POS GPS because the Navy is planning to install some abortion of one after the fact in all the fleet aircraft? Sounds unreasonable? That's why the Navy will do it.....:eek:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sooner or later the V and J routes will all go away and Naval Air is going to be looking around going "Huh? What's this GPS stuff we have to use? We're not certified for that!"

phrogpilot73

Let me clarify slightly. Most fleet helos have TACAN as the only IFR certified navigation system. We all have GPS (at least in the USMC), they just aren't certified. Truth be told, if I went IIMC and had to pick up an instrument clearance - I would use the GPS as a backup to my TACAN and even as primary if need be.

Eventually, fleet helos will have certified GPS installed. Don't know when.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Agreed. Civilian light trainers have much better GPS systems like the Garmin 430 or 1000. Perhaps the T-34 has it's POS GPS because the Navy is planning to install some abortion of one after the fact in all the fleet aircraft? Sounds unreasonable? That's why the Navy will do it.....:eek:

The KLN was cutting edge back when it was new. Believe it or not, there were people flying aircraft before 2005. When I was flying GA I was using a IIMorrow Flybuddy Plus LORAN, and that was the cat's meow. How would anyone need more accuracy than half a mile?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the Tomahawks I got my private license on had a LORAN box. Never turned it on; I'm not sure if it even worked. Only time I've seen one.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

I actually thought it was pretty decent once you got to know how to use it, the manual taught a ton of stuff for it.

It was a little more cumbersome than the gps's I've used in a Cessna, but it served it's purpose really well.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Let me clarify slightly. Most fleet helos have TACAN as the only IFR certified navigation system. We all have GPS (at least in the USMC), they just aren't certified. Truth be told, if I went IIMC and had to pick up an instrument clearance - I would use the GPS as a backup to my TACAN and even as primary if need be.

Eventually, fleet helos will have certified GPS installed. Don't know when.

I've heard rumors of fleet pilots with their arms out the windows using handheld GPSs for navigation like you would use in a car. I thought it was a joke but now I'm not so sure...

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I actually thought it was pretty decent once you got to know how to use it, the manual taught a ton of stuff for it.
/
I agree. I've got a few hours with the garmin stuff on the civie side and it is tits, but that KLN really was/is a sweet piece I think. Once you got it figured out it could do alot of cool sh!t.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Amazingly, and despite the rumors, the box in the Prowler does a pretty good job. Direct to GPS points by 5 letter, dir airports, etc. It has a marginally limited database (I think you can just about fit the whoile US in it, maybe more) but it works better than the system in teh T34 or T45 by a ton.

I realize how military procurment works (probably better than most due to some time inside the 5 walls) and know it takes extra time + money to get stuff liek that contracted into aircraft, but throwing a $2K (and 25lb) system into a 50+ million dollar jet seems like good headwork. For safety, if nothing else.

Military pilots still crash into unseen mountains, still have trouble getting to the nearest strip with enough runway for a land ASAP or gas issue, and still run into Wx issues all while in CONUS. Pretty much all this could be alleviated.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Amazingly, and despite the rumors, the box in the Prowler does a pretty good job. Direct to GPS points by 5 letter, dir airports, etc. It has a marginally limited database (I think you can just about fit the whoile US in it, maybe more) but it works better than the system in teh T34 or T45 by a ton.

Agreed. Prowler > T-34 > T-45 when it comes to navigation. Glass cockpit and HUD are nice for airwork, but the T-45's nav suite is sadly limited.

phrogpilot73

I've heard rumors of fleet pilots with their arms out the windows using handheld GPSs for navigation like you would use in a car. I thought it was a joke but now I'm not so sure...
I've heard tell that the Navy Phrog guys sometimes had to do just that in order to acquire satellites. In the USMC Phrog, it's hard-wired in the aircraft, and works very nicely.