• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice transfer procedures?????

Zotak

Does anyone know how to go about request a transfer to another service (ie Navy to Air Force)? Don't flame me, because the Navy has been good to me so far, but was wondering if this is even possible. Any insight would be awesome.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Zotak said:
Does anyone know how to go about request a transfer to another service (ie Navy to Air Force)? Don't flame me, because the Navy has been good to me so far, but was wondering if this is even possible. Any insight would be awesome.
Your first opportunity will probably be after your initial commitment w/ the Navy. Suck it up and get used to liking what you're doing.

Brett

LoneSailor

I would think it would be pretty hard right now since the Air Force is undergoing force shaping and shedding a handful of it's officers from various communities. Your current grade and current skills would probobaly play a lot in whether they would accept your transfer.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It happens all the time....I've run into several former Navy types in Air Force recently...one is commanding a Predator Squadron at Creech, one commanded the first B-2 squadron no less and another is pinning on General in the NJ Air Guard and yet another is flying Predators at Creech. Proof positive that it happens and that USAF doesn't inhibit promotion or opportunity.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
You'll also need to find the Air Force instruction on transfer into the Air Force.
As I previously posted, per the linked instruction, basis for denial includes failure to complete initial service requirements, so he's got at least 8 years to find that AF REG.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ex Rigger said:
But just to ensure you have all your bases covered make sure that as soon as you get to your first squadron you let the skipper and your peers know that you want to transfer to the Air Force.
:D

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ex Rigger said:
But just to ensure you have all your bases covered make sure that as soon as you get to your first squadron you let the skipper and your peers know that you want to transfer to the Air Force.
Yea, so you get hooked up with a great billet to make your package more competive.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
Just to second Brett's comment, I submitted a IST package for a transfer to the Marines this year and was told by BUPERS that they could not release me until my obligated service was up. Of course, you never know if tommorrow the Navy might have to many JOs and be kicking us out.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Scamahmrd said:
Just to second Brett's comment, I submitted a IST package for a transfer to the Marines this year and was told by BUPERS that they could not release me until my obligated service was up. Of course, you never know if tommorrow the Navy might have to many JOs and be kicking us out.

Wow, with the number of winged 1st LTs at TBS right now, I'm amazed they've stopped accepting ISTs, I figured they'd be at it for a while.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ex Rigger said:

Better yet, write them a letter before you get there ;)