• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran spying on our carriers?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Check FoxNews.com I found the video article... but cant find an address to link to it.

Iran has apparently released grainy photos showing how they've been using drone planes to "spy" on our carriers and gain "valuable military knowledge".

Can someone else look at this video they released? Because this looks like old video to me... infact, those aircraft on the deck look... like tomcats?

Anyone else think thdey've just released some old video they got their hands on?

EDIT: Click he video link: http://www.foxnews.com/world/iran/

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Whats so secret? They can pick up a book at any bookstore and know how we conduct carrier ops. Getting inside the SM-2 MEZ may be another challenge for them.
Sending the equivalent of a Predator too close? I'm sure the shoes would love the target practice.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check FoxNews.com I found the video article... but cant find an address to link to it.

Iran has apparently released grainy photos showing how they've been using drone planes to "spy" on our carriers and gain "valuable military knowledge".

Can someone else look at this video they released? Because this looks like old video to me... infact, those aircraft on the deck look... like tomcats?

Anyone else think thdey've just released some old video they got their hands on?

EDIT: Click he video link: http://www.foxnews.com/world/iran/

I'm sure it's legit, and I didn't see any tomcats. Let's not get our panties in a bunch over a souped up model airplane with a camera on it. This really isn't tactically significant. :sleep_125

Brett

Lonestar155

is good to go
Some may argue that there is nothing to worry about. I would argue that no one should be that close to our carriers for a number of reasons. With that sort of aerial footage, enemies could easily see when carriers are preparing to launch off jets for an air strike. Last thing we need is one of those drones dropping some sort of chemical weapon on that flight deck.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some may argue that there is nothing to worry about. I would argue that no one should be that close to our carriers for a number of reasons. With that sort of aerial footage, enemies could easily see when carriers are preparing to launch off jets for an air strike. Last thing we need is one of those drones dropping some sort of chemical weapon on that flight deck.

Well, you're right in theory, but we can't just go shooting everything down in sight, assuming this "UAV" is even detectable. With the amount of white shipping in the area, our flight ops aren't exactly a tightly held secret. All a nearby fishing trawler has to do is get on the cell phone when they see flight ops going down. Anyhow, the Iranians are nowhere near the capabilities you describe and they know if they attacked us with WMDs, it would be the end of them.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

We do sail in international waters, and it is international airspace.....so what do you suggest we do? Talking to some of the older guys and they describe how the Soviets playing all sorts of games during the Cold War. A Intel CWO told me about the time when he was on the USS Midway when it was overflown by 6 Tu-22M Backfires at 500 feet.

Plus, even the best UAV's do not have that much carrying capacity for weapons, much less any type of biological or chemical one. The Iranians can talk a good game but can they deliver? If I was on a carrier the IRGC would not keep me up at night, some guys on the other side of the world would......:(

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've stood out there on my wave day and watched an Iranian patrol plane fly cross the stern, turn opposite of the downwind, about 200', beneath Hornets in the pattern. Not hard to believe at all.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i got this 4 minutes (~3mb) of UAV propaganda from IRIB News. gives you something to think about, err, look out for, next time you are in the 'stack' while in the Gulf. looks like the thing flew right over the boat

Lonestar155

is good to go
Wow that is some very interesting footage. Thanks for sharing that! A little too close for comfort, that’s for sure. I’m a little clueless on the intelligence side of things, but I wonder how Iran would know the position of the carrier and battle group. I wouldn't mind seeing the close-In Weapon System (CIWS) put to good use.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow that is some very interesting footage. Thanks for sharing that! A little too close for comfort, that’s for sure. I’m a little clueless on the intelligence side of things, but I wonder how Iran would know the position of the carrier and battle group. I wouldn't mind seeing the close-In Weapon System (CIWS) put to good use.

The Persian Gulf is a relatively small piece of water, not too hard to find one of the largest ships in the world in it.......and I would love to see the CIWS in action too, if it works........;)

snizo

Supply Officer
The Iranians shouldn't be worried about getting good pictures of a carrier. If we were concerned about people seeing how we launch planes, we would have come up with some way of hiding it.

They should be scared of the fact that they US Navy can launch planes, land marines, or put warheads on foreheads at any time it wants to ... and that the US can support doing it for as long as it wants to. There isn't much of a secret behind how we do it (exc, of course, SSN/SSBN's). Its training and resources that put us on top, not secret capabilities.