• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran spying on our carriers?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Man I wonder if the Iranians would be interested in my footage from Starboard D? Think about the $$$ I could get. In fact... what if I showed them the grainy footage I have of IRAN, hmmmmmm???

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about the Russians overflying our carrier a few years ago and then e-mailing the photos to the ship's skipper.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about the Russians overflying our carrier a few years ago and then e-mailing the photos to the ship's skipper.

It was the Kitty then too, a buddy of mine was in VAQ-136 at the time. It was a Prowler that intercepted them.......:D

Transcript from a Pentagon news conference where they talk about the incident: http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/2000/t12072000_t1207asd.html

"Ken, as part of this game of "gotcha" that the Russians have been playing with the Kitty Hawk -- and we get all these new versions of exactly how long it took to react -- one, can you give us the latest version of how events unfolded? And two, is it true that the Russians e-mailed photos that their aircraft took of the Kitty Hawk to the Kitty Hawk? And three, if that's true, can we have them?

Bacon: There were actually three incidents. One was on October 12th, one was on October 17th, and I believe the last was on October 9th (sic).

Staff: (Off mike.)

Bacon: I'm sorry. November 9th? November 9th........

.......Bacon: No, there were two Russian planes. There were -- the American planes were launched sequentially, and the first plane, in the October 17th episode, was an E/A-6B that was launched."

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
It was the Kitty then too, a buddy of mine was in VAQ-136 at the time. It was a Prowler that intercepted them.......:D

Here's an eyewitness account that was generated shortly after the incident by a Hornet guy:

Flying **** : -Cruise was pretty easy and interesting: 54 days at sea, 40
traps , and 45 hours in the month of October
alone! Yes, we flew our asses off! Since I'm one of three department heads with all my quals I fly a lot. Here's an interesting story (this is a no
sh---er). I was on the bridge in line to drive the ship as there are a bunch
of O-5s and a few O-4s earning our "coming alongside" qual. It's a gay shoe boy ***** where you give commands to the helm and lee helm (that's the throttle, dude) and you're actually flying formation on the replenishment ship during UNREPS. You do this under the close supervision of the Captain of the ship and the CDO.

Anyways, I'm sitting there bullsh-----g with my XO who is also getting his qual and we hear on the CO's squawk box a call from CIC. They said "sir, we're getting indications of Russian fighter activity." His response was "launch the alert fighters." Combat told him the highest alerts were Alert 30s. The Captain got p---ed and said "launch everything we've got ASAP." I ran to the navigator's phone and called the SDO. Our squadron didn't have alert duty that day, bummer, so I told him to find out who did and get their ass moving up to the flight deck (only Alert 7s are actually sitting on the flight deck, ready to go; alert 30s means you are in the ready room).

Anyways, 40 minutes after the CO called away the alerts, a Russian SU-27 Flanker and SU-24 Fencer made a 500 knot, 200 foot pass directly over the tower of the Kitty Hawk...it was just like in Top Gun, shoes on the bridge spilled coffee and everyone said "H--y S---!. I looked at the Captain at this point and his face was red. He looked like he just walked in on his wife getting boned by a Marine. The Russian fighters made two more high speed, low altitude passes before we finally launched the first aircraft off the deck...a EA-6B Prowler. That's right...we launched a f-----g Prower and he ended up in a 1 versus 1 with the Flanker just in front of the ship. The Flanker was all over his ass (kind of like a bear batting around a little bunny right before he eats it). He was screaming for help when finally a Hornet from our sister squadron (I use this term in the literal sense because they looked like a bunch of f-----g girls playing with the Russians) got off the deck and made the intercept. It was too late. The entire crew watched overhead as the Russians made a mockery of our feeble attempt to intercept them. The funny part of the story was the
Admiral and the CAG were in their morning meeting in the war room andthey were interrupted by the thundering roar of Russians buzzing the tower. A CAG staff dude told me they looked at each other and our airplan, noticed we didn't have any flights scheduled until a few hours later, and said "what was that?"

Four days later, the Russian intelligence agency e-mailed the CO of the Kitty Hawk and enclosed pictures they had taken of our dudes scrambling around the flight deck, frantically trying to get airborne. I'm quite sure the f-----g loser shoe boy in charge of our battle group's air defense was fired. It's also ironic that the Admiral's change-of-command occurred just a few weeks prior to this incident. Anyways, the Russians tried to come out a few other times, and we were more than ready. I personally intercepted an IL-38 May and shoved my wingtip in front of his windscreen to prevent him from turning towards the ship (yeah, yeah we're friends now, blow me). In typical Navy Senior officer knee jerk fashion our entire airwing stood alerts around the clock as if WWII was going to break out anytime. This story was plasteredall over Russian and Japanese newspapers yesterday. The Russians even awarded their aircrew medals for their achievement. What f-----g shame! I felt like I was on the Bad News Bears and we got our asses kicked, and I didn't even get off the bench to help the team.