• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iranian Military Power Vids

East

东部
Contributor
Iraqi Police Women

With all respect to their religious way of dressing...it reminds of Jake & Elwoods orphanage.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Couple things here...
1st off that music completely sucks @ss
2nd I hate seeing our aircraft flown by other countries especially our enemies.
3rd Did we ever give Iran a collection of Phoenix missiles? I know it would have to be the first version, but what is the upkeep with those any chance that they could still be operational?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
3rd Did we ever give Iran a collection of Phoenix missiles?

My belief was that we sold the F-14 fighter system to Iran without some of the prime goodies...Phoenix included.

Concur on music...gets my nomination for worst military vid music ever....even worse than that crazy French low level vid.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couple things here...
1st off that music completely sucks @ss
2nd I hate seeing our aircraft flown by other countries especially our enemies.
3rd Did we ever give Iran a collection of Phoenix missiles? I know it would have to be the first version, but what is the upkeep with those any chance that they could still be operational?

According to wonderful Wikipedia, the Iranians were sold the Phoenix. Whether they are supportable or working weapons is unknown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_missile

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
My belief was that we sold the F-14 fighter system to Iran without some of the prime goodies...Phoenix included.

From http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0077.shtml

"Having received permission from the US government, Iran decided to purchase the F-14 Tomcat over a competing F-15 Eagle offer. An intial order for 30 F-14s was signed in January 1974, and this number was later increased to 80. The first of these aircraft arrived in Iran in January 1976, differing only from their American counterparts in the removal of certain classified avionics systems. These aircraft were also fitted with the improved TF30-414 engine, standard on later production models. Twelve aircraft were delivered by May 1977, and one of these was used to shoot down a BQM-34E target drone flying at 50,000 feet with an AIM-54 Phoenix missile in August of that year. This successful demonstration quickly convinced the Soviets to end the MiG-25 overflights. Deliveries continued until 1978 when the 79th unit was delivered, one example remaining in the US as a testbed (this plane was later transferred to US Navy flight test duties at the Point Mugu Naval Air Station following the Revolution). Some 714 Phoenix missiles were also ordered, but only 284 of these were delivered by the time of the Iranian Revolution in 1979."

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
According to wonderful Wikipedia, the Iranians were sold the Phoenix. Whether they are supportable or working weapons is unknown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_missile

It has been documented that IAF has an aggressive program to attempt to keep their AIM-54 stocks operational. I believe Aviation Week had a recent article on the subject.

They reported that the current effort revolves around the AIM-54 internal batteries - since I guess these wear out over time.

A lot of avionics have been reverse engineered by chinese aerospace companys and provided to our good friends in the IAF. Uggh.

There's a lot of concern that retired Tomcat parts from USA could also wind up in the hands of IAF...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I believe Aviation Week had a recent article on the subject.

This comes up periodically...get it..periodically?

In any case, it seems to me, as a person trying to leave the great unwashed of naval aviation, that a subscription might be well worth the money for a leg up on PME. Any of you senior guys agree/disagree? Any subscription deals out there?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This comes up periodically...get it..periodically?

In any case, it seems to me, as a person trying to leave the great unwashed of naval aviation, that a subscription might be well worth the money for a leg up on PME. Any of you senior guys agree/disagree? Any subscription deals out there?

Just go to the library.

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Goes back to that whole cave men with nintendos analogy i made a few months back.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It has been documented that IAF has an aggressive program to attempt to keep their AIM-54 stocks operational. I believe Aviation Week had a recent article on the subject.

They reported that the current effort revolves around the AIM-54 internal batteries - since I guess these wear out over time.

A lot of avionics have been reverse engineered by chinese aerospace companys and provided to our good friends in the IAF. Uggh.

There's a lot of concern that retired Tomcat parts from USA could also wind up in the hands of IAF...

It wasn't just the IAF who supplied the Iranians:

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/walsh/execsum.htm