• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is Geo-Bach possible?

CTHER28

I’m waiting for results for SNFO but trying to figure out logistics in case I do get selected! My husband and I are both active duty enlisted and stationed at Tinker. If I do get selected, he would have to stay here with our kids while I’m in Pensacola. Does anyone know if geo-baching is possible? Is there a barracks for Officers? Or do I have to live out in town? My priority is my BAH going towards my current mortgage.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
My brother geo-bach’ed for his time in Meridian (intermediate/advanced for pilots). Lived at the BOQ. Don’t see why you couldn’t in Pensacola, but it might be something that is difficult to get clarity on before OCS (and probably before getting orders to or checking in at Pensacola).

There is a BOQ on NAS Pensacola where all of your training for SNFO would be. Don’t know anything about the occupancy.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I’m waiting for results for SNFO but trying to figure out logistics in case I do get selected! My husband and I are both active duty enlisted and stationed at Tinker. If I do get selected, he would have to stay here with our kids while I’m in Pensacola. Does anyone know if geo-baching is possible? Is there a barracks for Officers? Or do I have to live out in town? My priority is my BAH going towards my current mortgage.

You can probably find more information on the co-lo MILPERSMAN. I mean I’m sure you won’t be forced to co-locate especially in a training status.

CTHER28

You can probably find more information on the co-lo MILPERSMAN. I mean I’m sure you won’t be forced to co-locate especially in a training status.
Thank you. I’m familiar with the co-lo instruction, as I am currently co-located. I don’t intend to co-locate. I’m wanting to find out if geo-baching is an option rather than living out in town.

CTHER28

My brother geo-bach’ed for his time in Meridian (intermediate/advanced for pilots). Lived at the BOQ. Don’t see why you couldn’t in Pensacola, but it might be something that is difficult to get clarity on before OCS (and probably before getting orders to or checking in at Pensacola).

There is a BOQ on NAS Pensacola where all of your training for SNFO would be. Don’t know anything about the occupancy.
Thank you!! I’m hoping it will be an option but we will see.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Thank you. I’m familiar with the co-lo instruction, as I am currently co-located. I don’t intend to co-locate. I’m wanting to find out if geo-baching is an option rather than living out in town.
are you suggesting that you’d live in the Q for free while still collecting dual BAH for your current duty station?

CTHER28

are you suggesting that you’d live in the Q for free while still collecting dual BAH for your current duty station?
Yes, it is called being a Geo-Bachelor. It is a thing for Enlisted Sailors and I am wondering if it is possible for Officers as well.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
If you want to maximize your take home your best bet is finding a roommate, that will likely be far more cost effective than the BOQ. I’m not aware of any circumstances in a non-TAD status where the Q would be comped in addition to your BAH.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Yes, it is called being a Geo-Bachelor. It is a thing for Enlisted Sailors and I am wondering if it is possible for Officers as well.

Yeah, no it doesn't work that way for officers. I have heard/seen of officer geo-bachelor quarters but those are fairly rare (I have seen Newport and San Diego) and might fill up quickly.

Your best bet will probably be to split a house/etc. with some fellow officers, perhaps even folks in a similar-ish situation as you. I have seen flight school students keep their families in their home of record until it's finally time for their first duty station.

robav8r

None
Contributor
It worked for me, a very long time ago when I went to NASP for API and SNFO primary training. I was an LDO under the "LDO to NFO" program. Free BOQ room while we were in a student status. I'm sure this benefit is no longer offered, for a variety of reasons, but you could certainly ask the BOQ manager at NASP. As an Officer, i'd prepare yourself to not receive some of the good deals we afford enlisted personnel. Find a good roommate/study group, and minimize the time you have to be in Geo-Bach status in training by crushing the course requirements.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

That's why I asked. I'd have to look in the FMRs, but I cannot envision a scenario where you're given functionally two housing allowances in circumstances like this.

If you want to maximize your take home your best bet is finding a roommate, that will likely be far more cost effective than the BOQ. I’m not aware of any circumstances in a non-TAD status where the Q would be comped in addition to your BAH.
This is the way, @CTHER28

FormerRecruitingGuru

It worked for me, a very long time ago when I went to NASP for API and SNFO primary training. I was an LDO under the "LDO to NFO" program. Free BOQ room while we were in a student status. I'm sure this benefit is no longer offered, for a variety of reasons, but you could certainly ask the BOQ manager at NASP. As an Officer, i'd prepare yourself to not receive some of the good deals we afford enlisted personnel. Find a good roommate/study group, and minimize the time you have to be in Geo-Bach status in training by crushing the course requirements.

Every time I google “ (base) BOQ” it always redirects me to the navy gateway (lodging).

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
I did hear about students geobaching in flight school, but never any Dual Mil. Usually civilian spouse who stayed near family with the kiddos.

Wouldn't you both be drawing BAH, one with dependents (you as the O-1E probably) and one without? You going to the Q would forfeit your BAH. Seems like finding roommates might be a better plan and sets you up for group study success later on. Usually you'll link up with like minded people at OCS.