• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is Geo-Bach possible?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Yeah, i'm sure my 'terminology" is a bit dated . . . . . sorry 😜

No, you are right and back in the day it was common to find BEQ and BOQ. I do have an O-4 friend who is geo-baching right now but worked something out to stay at a Combined Bachelor Quarters or whatever… NOT an NGIS. Anyway, I’m sure they’re still around just not as prevalent as before.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Yes, it is called being a Geo-Bachelor. It is a thing for Enlisted Sailors and I am wondering if it is possible for Officers as well.
It doesn't work that way for officers. Both you and your husband will receive BAH and you will have to make it work. Which of you has the kids as your dependents? Make sure it's whomever qualifies for higher BAH. That way you maximize BAH with dependents for your situation. Otherwise you will not qualify for some of the housing programs that you currently qualify for since they are only for enlisted. Also, the colocation instruction is largely written for enlisted personnel. Officers are largely expected to figure it out on their own.

Every time I google “ (base) BOQ” it always redirects me to the navy gateway (lodging).
Yes, the Navy Gateway Inns took over management of nearly all BOQs, BEQs, VOQs, and VEQs a number of years ago. There are a few exceptions with regard to the Navy Lodge and some private companies who finagled contracts prior to the privatization of housing and quarters (The Newport Chalet in Newport if you've ever been there). Usually, if you get long-term quarters it's usually provided through the training command or documented in your orders and is paid for via your GTCC.

I did hear about students geobaching in flight school, but never any Dual Mil. Usually civilian spouse who stayed near family with the kiddos.

Wouldn't you both be drawing BAH, one with dependents (you as the O-1E probably) and one without? You going to the Q would forfeit your BAH. Seems like finding roommates might be a better plan and sets you up for group study success later on. Usually you'll link up with like minded people at OCS.
There might be a low cost base housing option. Monterey, Port Hueneme, and Newport all provide long term rentals out of the older, smaller duplexes for students. You would pay directly out of your BAH and it would be managed by the company managing the base housing (I think it was Balfour in Monterey) as your landlord. It was meant to provide affordable housing for personnel in markets that have insane rent prices while also keeping the smaller properties filled with bachelors and child-less couples. @CTHER28 reach out to the housing office in Pensacola to see if they have this option. You might be able to snag a two bedroom condo on base for cheap.