• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Israelis laying the smack down (Split from Pics thread)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This one is an old favorite of mine. I've used it as a background on my desktop for a while:

IAF.jpg

The foremost aircraft has the callsign "Ha-Kochav" written on it, which translates to "The Star". :D

(AFAIK, this picture is not copyrighted. I checked the site and saw no such restriction. Please remove if I am wrong)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^ I think the last time one of those bagged a Syrian Mig had to have been in 1982....Bekaa Valley.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ACIG lists 2 in 85, 2 in 89 and 2 more in 01
They also list the kill of the century . . .

Date: 14May81
Unit:
200 Sqn
Aircraft:
UAV
Weapon:
Maneuver
Victim:
MiG-21MF, SyAAF*

Notes:
The Syrian MiG-21 tried to tip the UAV with it's wing but stalled out and crashed

epicfailhomer.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
wow....that IAF has also used Apache launched hellfires against cessnas too!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
That has to be the coolest air to air kill!

Under those guidelines does that make the chinese f8 that flew into the EP-3 prop arc our last air to air kill (vs. jet)? ;)

That would certainly be a cool thing to tell my uncle :D (he was right seat on that fateful day).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That has to be the coolest air to air kill!

Under those guidelines does that make the chinese f8 that flew into the EP-3 prop arc our last air to air kill (vs. jet)? ;)

That would certainly be a cool thing to tell my uncle :D (he was right seat on that fateful day).

There have been instances in the past in which adversaries were downed by aggressive defensive maneuvers or flat out ran out of gas in an engagement. Some got credit and some didn't. "A kill's a kill" applies, but doubt that incident qualifies unless Chinese Pilot was trying to down the EP-3 and was done in by evasive maneuvering.

If that episode was deemed a hostile engagement and ruled a victory, I think your uncle would be telling you, not the other way around.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There have been instances in the past in which adversaries were downed by aggressive defensive maneuvers or flat out ran out of gas in an engagement. Some got credit and some didn't. "A kill's a kill" applies, but doubt that incident qualifies unless Chinese Pilot was trying to down the EP-3 and was done in by evasive maneuvering.

If that episode was deemed a hostile engagement and ruled a victory, I think your uncle would be telling you, not the other way around.

The EF-111 kill in the Gulf War, a Mirage F-1 ran into the ground chasing the 'Electric 'Vark'.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The EF-111 kill in the Gulf War, a Mirage F-1 ran into the ground chasing the 'Electric 'Vark'.

That would one engagement I was thinking of as well as MiG that did a split S to evade a F-15 but did have sufficent altitude to complete the maneuver.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
C-130 vs Mig-21 in Vietnam. The 130 was manuevering down low, in a valley to stay off the Mig. The Mig pilot ended up hitting the hillside. Never credited but a Mig was destroyed.