• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I've got gas!

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Yep, its a WX thing. Had an OIC and the QAO get stuck in CT for somethign like a week becasue of it. (of course, the MRB/TRB de-ice was non-functional as always).

That and only "special" relativity applies in HSL.

Kind of like the auxillary fuel tanks. Have to learn about it, but we don't use it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, we could drop them. We would in some emergencies to lighten the load.

gregsivers

pilot
Supposedly they never get used in HSL. According to the IPs I had during OFTs they're not even in the system anywhere, as in on base at all.

Fly- I know we can dump fuel in an emergency, but I don't remember if they can be dropped or not, I think if necessary they can. But that'd require looking in the NATOPS, which I don't do on Saturdays.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny question: Do helos have a maximum landing weight? Sounds silly, but helos are foreign to me.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, but we don't drop them.

Unlike WWII and Korea and Viet Nam where external tanks were dropped before entering combat...Navy doesn't buy enough to do that any more unlike the Air Force, which has literally acres of drop tanks. SOP in Desert Storm was for Eagles to punch them off upon receiving a vector. No questions asked. Navy policy is 180 out. Almost have to have Flag permission to punch off a tank...and in some instances, that is exactly what it took. At least that is what Tomcat aircrews lived with for their time on the frontline. I'm sure Hornets of all types aren't too excited about carrying their "space shuttle" tanks into Indian Country (if they have to engage).

Pags

N/A
pilot
Do you have an All Stores, Sono Jettison button? That cuts them for us.

At least you can get rid of them if you need to. With internal aux tanks (the only kind we can have now), there's no way to get rid of that fuel if you need to other than a manual xfer to the main tanks. And if you're transfering, you can't be dumping at the same time. So, you'd have to transfer until it fills the mains, then dump the mains, then transfer again if there's any left in the aux tank. I've seen pics of a Sierra with externals, and we have plumbing for them, so hopefully we'll be able to jettison those.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
At least you can get rid of them if you need to. With internal aux tanks (the only kind we can have now), there's no way to get rid of that fuel if you need to other than a manual xfer to the main tanks. And if you're transfering, you can't be dumping at the same time. So, you'd have to transfer until it fills the mains, then dump the mains, then transfer again if there's any left in the aux tank. I've seen pics of a Sierra with externals, and we have plumbing for them, so hopefully we'll be able to jettison those.

Wow, that's weird. When we dump, I am pretty sure it automatically sequences through the tanks to get rid of the fuel, i.e. the fuel doesn't have to xfer to the mains to dump.

We have a permanent internal aux in the F.

gregsivers

pilot
Wow, that's weird. When we dump, I am pretty sure it automatically sequences through the tanks to get rid of the fuel, i.e. the fuel doesn't have to xfer to the mains to dump.

Same in the B. It dumps out of the Aux tanks first then dumps from the main tanks. But no internal aux in ours.

Pags

N/A
pilot

yeah, it has to do with the fact that the internal aux tanks are an add-on quick fix and weren't original to the helo. we have no automatic fuel transfer either. so, if you forget to transfer fuel, you could still flameout with a full internal aux.