• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I've got gas!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Same in the B. It dumps out of the Aux tanks first then dumps from the main tanks. But no internal aux in ours.

For stupid people (like me) on Natops checks, I always used the question mark method. When fueling, fuel goes in from the bottom of the "?" and dumps from the top.

Dumping: Left, Right, Mains.
Refueling: Tops off mains, right, left.

Worked for me, anyway. Not sure if that makes sense how I typed it.

Dstar

pilot
In a flick of two switches, you can loose 9000 lbs and 2 aux tanks on a 53E. You dump from the main tanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In a flick of two switches, you can loose 9000 lbs and 2 aux tanks on a 53E. You dump from the main tanks.

Not all 53Es
mh-53e-Ready.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Not all 53Es
mh-53e-Ready.jpg

That is one badass helo. Quick question for y'all. Being an unwashed, wet behind the ears college student, I don't undertsand all these things. Does it really make that much of a difference having the drop tanks on, performance and aerodynamics-wise?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is one badass helo. Quick question for y'all. Being an unwashed, wet behind the ears college student, I don't undertsand all these things. Does it really make that much of a difference having the drop tanks on, performance and aerodynamics-wise?

I can't speak for helos, but in jets yes it matters. Figure the tanks weigh about 1K each and they hold 2-3K of fuel. If you just have 2 tanks, that can be up to 8K of extra weight that you have to maneuver. It pays of on endurance, but you will have a performance penalty.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unlike WWII and Korea and Viet Nam where external tanks were dropped before entering combat...Navy doesn't buy enough to do that any more unlike the Air Force, which has literally acres of drop tanks. SOP in Desert Storm was for Eagles to punch them off upon receiving a vector. No questions asked. Navy policy is 180 out. Almost have to have Flag permission to punch off a tank...and in some instances, that is exactly what it took. [...]

It was really like that late Vietnam, too. Early on and briefly, guys were jettisoning drop tanks like the Air Force did. But that quickly changed.

Our aircraft carriers quickly ran out of drop tanks. (Only so many extra, so-called-"drop-tanks" are carried on the carrier, and supply ships didn't have them to unrep, either. Worse, an F-4 without any external tanks was not "combat ready," and therefore automatically down!) Thus we were told never to jettison external fuel tanks, except in the most "extreme" of cases. Hot vectors on MiG's were not considered 'extreme' enough. And I had a few of those - as many did - but of course, never did jettison.

Also, there was a real danger in jettisoning a partially full tank. They had a nasty habit of pitching back up into the aircraft or the horizontal stab. But jettisoning an empty one was OK...below a speed restriction I no longer remember. (But then, in combat many, if not all of our speed restrictions went quickly out the window, with cause. Flag never knew - nor would he likely care, and none of us harbored any guilt on exceeding most speed limits within reason.)

I once thought I might jettison if actually engaged and therefore would not have to answer for it. But there were problems with that too. The last thing in an engagement I wanted to do was to come back in, eyeballs into the cockpit, looking for switches to jettison the by now, light and empty centerline tank...all while a close-by enemy MiG outside my cockpit was fix'n to kill me. Worse, there was always the fear that I could also accidentally jettison my Sidewinders. :( DOH! (it had happened to others.)

Therefore I decided my external centerline tank and me were best "buddies". :) It went everywhere with me, and could plan on always coming back to the boat with me, regardless of our mission or action - and Flag would be happy….Ah, except and excluding any @#&%$ 130kt weak cat shot when I really needed 155kts. … That's instantaneous no questions asked, C-Ya-centerline-time, and goodbye your unwanted 4100lbs, and everything else!:eek:!
Call me fickle.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

On the helo side, aerodynamics can be a problem, as the more stuff you put out there the more power you need to go at an airspeed, just like fixed wing. But the bigger issue is weight, usually right at takeoff. Should you lose an engine off the back of the boat when you've started to transition to forward flight, one technique is to flip the dump switch and push ALL STORES JETTISON. It will drop the buoys/ordnance and start pumping gas out at 800-1000 pounds/min. Losing just 500 pounds initially can be a big help, but of course, if you don't make it, now you're sitting in a pool of jet fuel.

Pags

N/A
pilot
On the helo side, aerodynamics can be a problem, as the more stuff you put out there the more power you need to go at an airspeed, just like fixed wing. But the bigger issue is weight, usually right at takeoff. Should you lose an engine off the back of the boat when you've started to transition to forward flight, one technique is to flip the dump switch and push ALL STORES JETTISON. It will drop the buoys/ordnance and start pumping gas out at 800-1000 pounds/min. Losing just 500 pounds initially can be a big help, but of course, if you don't make it, now you're sitting in a pool of jet fuel.

better use that strobe instead of the day/night flare.