• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jacksonville University

Lost_Aviator

Well, I applied for an NROTC scholrship primarily looking at ERAU and just filled in the other to blanks with whoever happened to be sending me recruiting stuff at the time. As it turns out I got a 4-year at Jacksonville University in Florida. I pretty well know nothing about the school and haden't even applied when I got the scholarship today. I'm just curious if anyone on here is part of or familiar with the unit and the school. How strong is the unit? What is the aviation department like? How many of the Midshipmen get flight spots who want them (like me)? And just general info that might be useful to me. I've been offered scholarship from both the Army and Air Force as well, and my primary goal is to fly. Definitely appreciate any input.:) (Sorry, I had to add a smily so the post wasn't quite so boring.)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Congrats on picking up the scholarship. The search is your friend for a lot of those questions. Bear in mind I don't know anything about JU other than where it is. I can say your chances of picking up an SNA slot are probably no better or worse at JU than anywhere else. In all reality there's no way to know what they're going to be until you submit a dream sheet your senior year in college. Doing the absolute best you can in college and with the unit at your school will maximize those chances but nothing is ever guaranteed. Again, congrats and enjoy Jax.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Well, I applied for an NROTC scholrship primarily looking at ERAU and just filled in the other to blanks with whoever happened to be sending me recruiting stuff at the time. As it turns out I got a 4-year at Jacksonville University in Florida. I pretty well know nothing about the school and haden't even applied when I got the scholarship today. I'm just curious if anyone on here is part of or familiar with the unit and the school. How strong is the unit? What is the aviation department like? How many of the Midshipmen get flight spots who want them (like me)? And just general info that might be useful to me. I've been offered scholarship from both the Army and Air Force as well, and my primary goal is to fly. Definitely appreciate any input.:) (Sorry, I had to add a smily so the post wasn't quite so boring.)

Greetings fellow Dolphin.

I applied to the college program and got in, but a mix of misinformation and poor timing on my part ended with me declining that route. I just didn't have the time to meet their requirements and graduate on time. Now I'm in BDCP on the outside looking in so take my advice about the unit with a grain of salt. Oh the shame of it all (yeah right, BDCP rox!)

Nonetheless I know some about the unit and I know all about JU having attended there for 3 years now and growing up around the campus.

First off, JU's unit is a great unit. The guys are really motivated and sharp. The seniors seem to be a pain from what the underclassmen tell me, but I've talked with the seniors and they have a mentoring motive to their insanity. They are there to help you nuff said. That should go without saying no matter what unit you go to. Also, I believe they are the second largest unit in the nation, so you'll be around alot of great guys.

The campus life is a mixed bag. Personally, I love the school. you'll know the entire faculty on a name basis and they you. JU is a very small school, but tight knit. You can basically stop anyone on campus and strike up conversation. Also, due to the fact it's an educational University as opposed to a research University, the professors are extremely helpful and have very open office hours as opposed to a state school. No grad students or assistant professors here. Hands on education is the schools goal. To that end, JU is an excellent school for midshipmen.

If you have any question about JU campus life, PM me anytime. I'm sure another MIDN or OC on this site can give you better insight on the Unit.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Graduated from JU many, many moons ago.. So this may or may or not still be true.. JU graduates earlier than most schools so they tend to select more aviation spots.. I think when I selected there was like 40 something slots (pilot and NFO)... They will push hard for the Nuke Power thing but just stay the course and keep the GPA up.. ;) Only bummer is small schools make some things harder to get away with... You will GO to a DISCIPLINARY BOARD if you throw a Kegger in your dorm room.. However, they won't tell the unit till the third time.. Unless your RA is a tool and one of those self rightous dorks! Not that I have every had this experience.. Well... Maybe.. Kind of... Also watch out for being in the chicks dorm after hours.. Again same sort of trouble.. But they use to be super anal with their lock down of that building... :(

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Wait, they have all girl dorms there?... And you're not allowed in there late night?... How else are you supposed to... WOW:eek: ...

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
When I was there... Chicks had their own buildings and dudes theirs... One building was coed but seperate floors.. Wasn't too big a deal but once they locked it down; you weren't getting out... Which wasn't so bad; unless you had an early class or some butter face girl dimed you out to the overachieving goodie, goodies... :icon_rage

USN99

USN99
None
What if question

Well, I applied for an NROTC scholrship ... As it turns out I got a 4-year at Jacksonville University in Florida. I pretty well know nothing about the school and haden't even applied when I got the scholarship today.

What happens to the NROTC scholarship if you don't get accepted by JU? Can you take it to another NROTC unit/university? :confused:

Lost_Aviator

What happens to the NROTC scholarship if you don't get accepted by JU? Can you take it to another NROTC unit/university? :confused:
Yeah that confused me a little as well. As I said before, that was my second choice but the information online is very specific and so was the officer recruiter in his phone message. I don't anticipate any problems but I haven't even applied so you never know. I'll try to call him tomorrow, but he's a hard guy to get a hold of. I'm in Colorado where the largest body of water within a few hundred miles is barely big enough to float a bass boat on, so he has to cover a big area.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I got commissioned at JU ROTC a few years back. Dude, if you have the grades and qualifications to get a 4 year scholarship, then trust me when I say you will have NO problems getting into JU. The thing that keeps most people from going to school there is not their inability to get in, but their inability to pay the massive amount of money required to go there. It is a great unit and a school that will give you lots of individual attention, smaller classes, and a more personal venue than most. Good luck with your decision.

Jkeets

I am a freshman at UNF applying for the college program with the JU unit since our school doesnt have one. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

Circle K

pilot
Speaking of aviation and JU, I know they are in the process of hiring numerous aviation "professors" and building that degree program extremely fast. They were picked to host an undergrad version of Delta's pilot academy out of Craig airport. I didn't go there, and have no idea about the requirements for that program (ie obligation to delta and co.) but it's worth looking into.

Vidofnir

Fly Delta Jets
pilot
Seeing as I am a part of the aviation program and NROTC unit at JU, I can tell you from experience that if you really don't like your free time, then feel free to be part of it. To graduate with the "Aviation Management and Flight Operations" degree you have to complete the program at Delta Connection Academy, which involves getting rated all the way to Instrument Instructor (CFII). It's a lot of work, along with ROTC, but people have done it. I'm too lazy, so I decided to change my major and minor in aviation (which takes you up to Instrument rating only). You are not obligated to fly for Delta at DCA, and the Navy Scholarship will cover everything, including your books and headset.

Grats on the scholarship!

Lost_Aviator

Wow, your timing on that reply was excellent. I’m actually sitting in a hotel in Florida now after visiting the JU campus and randomly decided to check back on this site. I had the opportunity to take the campus tour (wonderful generic tour that somehow seems to be exactly the same at every university no matter what state they’re in), but I had a chance meeting with the director of the aviation program, and he was a great guy who was obviously enthusiastic about the program, so that was a great help. I was supposed to meet with the freshman NROTC advisor, but he wasn’t around and I ended up speaking with the junior advisor and he helped me out a bunch and answered all of my questions. What I took away from both meetings was that it is hard as hell to do both programs, but they are working on some sort of new major or emphasis that will allow NROTC students to take some of the naval courses in lieu of some of the flight courses, mainly the CFI and CFII and the hour building that goes with it. This should be ready to go not this fall but the next.
Sorry this post is pretty lengthy but I had a lot a useless stuff to say about the visit. Anyway, thanks for all the help and advise that you all have given me.